Author Topic: Uproar over Sessions visit to Tex-Mex restaurant continues to simmer  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  Emily Foxhall Aug. 14, 2018

Someone important was coming to Domenic Laurenzo’s restaurant, but he didn’t know who. He knew only that the Secret Service planned to arrive at El Tiempo Cantina on Navigation Boulevard in a historically Hispanic community, one of eight locations in a city that embraced his family’s cooking almost as fervently as it does its diversity.

But when Attorney General Jeff Sessions, the enforcer of President Donald Trump’s crackdown on illegal immigration, walked through the door and posed side-by-side, smiling, for a photo with Laurenzo, he unleashed a backlash against El Tiempo that four days later was unabated and forced the suspension of the restaurant’s social media accounts.

The photo of the pair, posted to Facebook, drew immediate and unforgiving vitriol. “We had the honor to server [sic] Mr. Jeff Sessions,” read the caption, captured in screenshots. Patrons demanded a boycott of the Tex-Mex chain, founded by Laurenzo and his father, an immigrant family. Both gave interviews distancing themselves from Sessions’ policies. Others criticized their response, or came quickly to their defense.

There was a time when a celebrity visit to a restaurant was cause for celebration, and possibly a smiling photo on the wall. But the outcry over Sessions’ visit to El Tiempo is the latest in a string of incidents nationwide in which senior members of the Trump administration have been heckled or, in the case of Sarah Huckabee Sanders, asked to leave while trying to eat out, and again revealed an America divided and quick to react — another flash point in the debate over whether politics should affect the way we treat others, personally and as patrons.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Uproar-over-Sessions-visit-to-Tex-Mex-restaurant-13156362.php

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Uproar over Sessions visit to Tex-Mex restaurant continues to simmer
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 11:40:41 am »
Houston Chronicle by  Emily Foxhall Aug. 14, 2018

Someone important was coming to Domenic Laurenzo’s restaurant, but he didn’t know who. He knew only that the Secret Service planned to arrive at El Tiempo Cantina on Navigation Boulevard in a historically Hispanic community, one of eight locations in a city that embraced his family’s cooking almost as fervently as it does its diversity.

Papasitos would have been a better choice Jeff......
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 11:53:03 am »
Papasitos would have been a better choice Jeff......

I am no fan of Pappas after they screwed up my "O so close by" Luther's BBQ joint. Once they took it over it was awful and I X'ed it off of my "Go To" list.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 11:58:59 am »
The 2 Mexican food joints I recommend are:

Taqueria La Jalicience on Edgebrook
Taqueria Del Sol on Park Place

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 01:31:36 pm »
I am no fan of Pappas after they screwed up my "O so close by" Luther's BBQ joint. Once they took it over it was awful and I X'ed it off of my "Go To" list.

As a BBQ place, I know they operate the Dot (or used to) and they used to sell BBQ. So I can't vouch for their BBQ.   I guess we all have our own tastes, and Mexican food from Papasitos is about as good as it gets for me.

P.S.  I do miss Luther's ribs too.  No one else has ever been able to recreate that (IMO)
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 01:32:26 pm »
The 2 Mexican food joints I recommend are:

Taqueria La Jalicience on Edgebrook
Taqueria Del Sol on Park Place

Remember Ninfa's from about 30-40 years ago?

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 01:41:52 pm »
As a BBQ place, I know they operate the Dot (or used to) and they used to sell BBQ. So I can't vouch for their BBQ.   I guess we all have our own tastes, and Mexican food from Papasitos is about as good as it gets for me.

P.S. I do miss Luther's ribs too.  No one else has ever been able to recreate that (IMO)

Not a BBQ style, but have you eaten the Ribs at Houston's?

http://www.houstons.com/locations/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 01:52:17 pm »
Remember Ninfa's from about 30-40 years ago?

The original Ninfa's on Navigation is still a great restaurant. The line to get in may still go down the block. It used to.

Years ago I went to a newly opened Ninfa's in Clear lake for lunch. My enchilada dinner looked like the enchiladas were painted on the plates. I did not got back. They did not last.

After Luther's I went to Gabby's. And now they have all closed. Central Texas BBQ is walking distance for me, but its only open for lunch.

My son goes to the Dot Shop. He says its still good. The Pappas BBQ is next door.  I grew up going to the Tel-Wink over on Telephone.