Author Topic: The Iraqi Spy Who Infiltrated ISIS  (Read 649 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The Iraqi Spy Who Infiltrated ISIS
« on: August 15, 2018, 05:23:42 am »
NY Times has a paywall so I'm not sure if readers can get the whole article. Let it suffice to say, this guy was a spy for the Iraqi government and he stopped a number of terror attacks until he was discovered and killed. He saved a lot of lives.

The Iraqi Spy Who Infiltrated ISIS

Capt. Harith al-Sudani’s wife, Raghad Chaloob, center, and their three children, Riyam, Rawan and Muamal, atop their home in Baghdad.CreditIvor Prickett for The New York Times

His record was stunning: He had foiled 30 planned vehicle-bomb attacks and 18 suicide bombers, according to Abu Ali al-Basri, the agency’s director. Captain Sudani also gave the agency a direct line to some of the Islamic State’s senior commanders in Mosul.

A 36-year-old former computer tech, he was, agency officials said, perhaps Iraq’s greatest spy, one of a few in the world to have infiltrated the upper reaches of the Islamic State. He saved a lot of lives.

But now, on this last day of 2016, as he cruised along the four-lane crosstown highway toward his assigned target, the markets of Baghdad al Jdeidah, he had a nagging suspicion that his cover had been blown.

Full article at: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/12/world/middleeast/iraqi-spy-isis.html

Kyle Orton's twitter per Aug. 14th might allow one full access.
https://twitter.com/KyleWOrton

Captain Sudani:

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 04:03:30 pm by TomSea »

Offline DB

Re: The Iraqi Spy Who Infiltrated ISIS
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 09:54:20 am »
Thank you for posting this.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 10:54:08 pm »
TomSea wrote:
"NY Times has a paywall so I'm not sure if readers can get the whole article"

There's no paywall there if you know how to get around it.
And I'm going to teach you folks how to break that paywall down right now.

When you visit the NYT site (as when you visit many if not most sites on the net), it "sets a cookie" which seems to have a "counter" that records your number of visits.

So, you get (what looks like) 4 "visits" before the web site will refuse to "serve you" the requested article -- because the NYT cookie on your computer has a "full counter".

But... all you have to do to defeat the counter is to DELETE the cookie.

I'm on a Mac -- the best OS by which to browse the net -- but the techniques I use are certainly there for Windows users as well, or at least I think they are.

What you need is some kind of "cookie manager" for your browsers.
On the Mac, I use one called, simply, "Cookie".

With a cookie manager, you can set it up to delete ALL cookies when you quit the browser (or at other intervals), but you can also set it to KEEP certain ones that you want kept.

For instance, I keep the briefingroom cookie around, because it has my login info in it.

Friends, do what I've described, and you won't be bothered by "you have to subscribe before you can read us" warnings -- at least on most sites.

There are some sites, like the Wall Street Journal, that have a true "PAYwall" where you have to pay to subscribe in order to read.
And all of those -- I don't bother with. They can kiss me where the sun don't shine.

And while I'm at it...
Those pesky websites that won't let you in until you turn your adblocker off?
It's easy to defeat most of them, too.
Just disable Javascript, and reload the page.
In most cases -- not all, but most -- that defeats the anti-ad-blocker warning, and you can still read the content you want to...

Offline DB

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 06:38:36 am »
Speaking of cookies and pay sites... Just use a second browser (Chrome as the primary and FireFox as the secondary for example) and delete ALL your cookies and browsing history on the secondary browser regularly. Use that browser for everything that wants to count visits and restrict access.