Author Topic: 301 ‘Predator Priests’ Named In Pa. Grand Jury Sex Abuse Report: ‘They Were Raping Little Boys & Gir  (Read 4890 times)

Offline Absalom

Not buying it. This and many other similar cases like this go back all the way to the 1950s, when we were probably the most socially conservative as a society that we will ever be. Heck, in a lot of states, you couldn't even marry a person of another race yet! Even then, though, they were still groping kids.

If anything, the perverts hid themselves in a church body that was willing to cover for them to protect themselves.
-------------------------------------------------
Buy or sell what ever you wish as we own our opinions.
The driver behind this explosion of sexual perversion is
tolerance of homosexuality which encouraged permissiveness
leading to attitudinal and ultimately behavioral change
in our culture/society over many generations.

Offline cato potatoe

People have cited abuse in other organizations, and I always figured the Catholic church was just the biggest Christian target for the newsmedia.  But I have to wonder.  We identified 301 priests across 75% of Pennsylvania.  We know this problem is anything but localized.  If you extrapolate to the rest of the country, that would come to several thousand priests, and there are only 37,000 active priests.  It just boggles the mind how the church hierarchy allowed this to metastasize into a scandal.  There needs to be a massive purge if the church ever hopes to move forward.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 02:47:22 am by cato potatoe »

Offline LegalAmerican

People have cited abuse in other organizations, and I always figured the Catholic church was just the biggest Christian target for the newsmedia.  But I have to wonder.  We identified 301 priests across 75% of Pennsylvania.  We know this problem is anything but localized.  If you extrapolate to the rest of the country, that would come to several thousand priests, and there are only 37,000 active priests.  It just boggles the mind how the church hierarchy allowed this to metastasize into a scandal.  There needs to be a massive purge if the church ever hopes to move forward.

Yes and it is worse, in Hollyweird. They are into abuse, torture, k!lling baby's, toddlers for their blood, to stay young. PIZZAGATE IS REAL.
Can we expose the actors THERE? 

Same thing going on in the monarchy, and around the world. No talk of muslims doing this? 

People don't want to know.  I think the celibacy part need's to be dropped. Less chance of gay's wanting to be priests, with access to young children. I went to Catholic school and raised Catholic.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 04:21:06 am by LegalAmerican »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Not buying it. This and many other similar cases like this go back all the way to the 1950s, when we were probably the most socially conservative as a society that we will ever be. Heck, in a lot of states, you couldn't even marry a person of another race yet! Even then, though, they were still groping kids.

If anything, the perverts hid themselves in a church body that was willing to cover for them to protect themselves.

@jmyrlefuller

And there you  have it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

It just boggles the mind how the church hierarchy allowed this to metastasize into a scandal.  There needs to be a massive purge if the church ever hopes to move forward.

@cato potatoe

You are right. There SHOULD be a massive purge that includes testifying against the child rapists,but there won't be because the Catholic Church is already lacking the number of priests they need to just maintain what they already have,and their "business" is to expand or die. The competition for donor dollars to keep the "machine" afloat is stiff,and if they have to suddenly start firing priests it will be a double hit on them because they will end up having to close churches AND pay out damages from the law suits.

I just don't see Catholic politicians allowing this to happen. If necessary they will insist special legislation be passed to protect the "Holy Mother Church".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Applewood

Offline verga

Anyone that thinks that this is in any way limited to the Catholic is sadly mistaken. A simple google search of "list any church sex scandal" will reveal similar cases in scope and number.
The difference is that The media loves to beat up the Catholic Church for several reasons:
1) The Catholic Church has always publicly opposed the deviant behavior of Hollywierd.
2) The Conservative position on traditional marriage and birth control.
3) Opposition to divorce. 
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline kidd

I spoke with a (heterosexual) priest this weekend.
He claims that only 2 of the 301 priests engaged in sexual abuse after 2002.

He says that this report is accurate, but it is being portrayed that these are all new cases.

I haven't been able to find any article that puts a time stamp on the abuses either way.

Offline thackney

Anyone that thinks that this is in any way limited to the Catholic is sadly mistaken. A simple google search of "list any church sex scandal" will reveal similar cases in scope and number.
The difference is that The media loves to beat up the Catholic Church for several reasons:
1) The Catholic Church has always publicly opposed the deviant behavior of Hollywierd.

Primarily the unique aspect of the Catholic Church in this topic was a repeated and widespread problem of hiding it from the authorities and church laity, then moving the priest and pretending there was no problem. 

All church groups have had problem people of authority.  But I haven't see such a repeated problem of hiding it as was done in the Catholic Church.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

I spoke with a (heterosexual) priest this weekend.
He claims that only 2 of the 301 priests engaged in sexual abuse after 2002.

He says that this report is accurate, but it is being portrayed that these are all new cases.

I haven't been able to find any article that puts a time stamp on the abuses either way.

This is the actual report being discussed.

40th Statewide Investigating Grand Jury
REPORT 1
Interim --Redacted
http://media-downloads.pacourts.us/InterimRedactedReportandResponses.pdf?cb=42148

Offline verga

Primarily the unique aspect of the Catholic Church in this topic was a repeated and widespread problem of hiding it from the authorities and church laity, then moving the priest and pretending there was no problem. 

All church groups have had problem people of authority.  But I haven't see such a repeated problem of hiding it as was done in the Catholic Church.
How many times have you heard about The SDA, Episcopal, JW's etc.... on the news.
Please tell me that you are not naive enough to believe they don't play "Pass the trash" as quietly as possible.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline thackney

How many times have you heard about The SDA, Episcopal, JW's etc.... on the news.
Please tell me that you are not naive enough to believe they don't play "Pass the trash" as quietly as possible.

I am confident it happens at times.  But most of them have a better history of working with police to get them jailed.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

As a very long-term Episcopalian, no, it rarely happens.  I'm not sure why, but it doesn't.

Offline goatprairie

When I was attending a Catholic grade school in the fifties/sixties we had a nasty priest who I didn't like as assistant pastor.  Later he was transferred out to a different school bordering our parish, and I was very happy to see him go.
About ten years later there was a story in the local news about some boys from the other school accusing this priest of sexual abuse.  It turned out the priest was a homosexual predator.
Sure enough, he showed up on a tv news clip in court having charges read out to him. He was found guilty and sentenced to a prison term. (Which was not real long, because about ten years later I saw him at a basketball game.)
I reported the news to my mother along the lines of "hey ma, did you hear the news about Father Blankety Blank sexually abusing some boys at blank parish?"
My mother replied to me " yes, everybody knew Father Blankety Blank was a homosexual."
I was stunned.  I asked mother if everybody knew he was a homo (and a predator), why didn't they try to get him removed?
My mother just shrugged her shoulders and walked away.
In those days, priests were treated like God's personal representatives on earth by many Catholics. My father certainly thought that. For my father, priests could do no wrong.
So they could have done something about it many years ago, but average Catholics didn't do much of anything.  Why not is beyond me. If I found out some priest had sexually abused one of my kids, he had better relocate to some remote region of the earth.

Offline LegalAmerican

@cato potatoe

You are right. There SHOULD be a massive purge that includes testifying against the child rapists,but there won't be because the Catholic Church is already lacking the number of priests they need to just maintain what they already have,and their "business" is to expand or die. The competition for donor dollars to keep the "machine" afloat is stiff,and if they have to suddenly start firing priests it will be a double hit on them because they will end up having to close churches AND pay out damages from the law suits.

I just don't see Catholic politicians allowing this to happen. If necessary they will insist special legislation be passed to protect the "Holy Mother Church".

Nancy Pelosi is Catholic.   :thumbsup:

Offline LegalAmerican

Yes, it is a wold wide problem, and easier to blame a big church, then others.

POLITICIANS, ACTORS, RAPPERS, SINGERS. ELMO. HOLLYWEIRD.

Offline LegalAmerican

AGAIN, because that is ALL media allows you to see.  It is all over!  This has gone on since the birth of mankind. Everybody wants to cover up. Can we have an expose' on islamists in America?  You will never see that. They can marry infants!  Why would a grown man, want to do that?  Easier to attack just one group.  Over and over again.  Hollyweird?  They are the same, but they have the money to keep things quiet.  Catholic church is NOT UNIQUE in this problem. That is what people need to understand.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
It is simple, the Catholic church hierarchy is corrupt.  And many of them I believe were once predators in their youth.

Now to a solution.  I believe we need to pass laws regarding this organized crime cabal.  If physical property can be seized in a drug bust, i.e cars, houses, boats, etc, I think the time has come that church property be seized when a sexual deviant. i.e. priest is operating on church grounds sodomizing children, and that stinking corrupt hierarchy  protects the perp.

Guess how long it would take for these corrupt aberrant b*st*rds to get their house in order?  Nanoseconds!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
-------------------------------------------------
Buy or sell what ever you wish as we own our opinions.
The driver behind this explosion of sexual perversion is
tolerance of homosexuality which encouraged permissiveness
leading to attitudinal and ultimately behavioral change
in our culture/society over many generations.

I agree.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It is simple, the Catholic church hierarchy is corrupt.  And many of them I believe were once predators in their youth.

Now to a solution.  I believe we need to pass laws regarding this organized crime cabal.  If physical property can be seized in a drug bust, i.e cars, houses, boats, etc, I think the time has come that church property be seized when a sexual deviant. i.e. priest is operating on church grounds sodomizing children, and that stinking corrupt hierarchy  protects the perp.

Guess how long it would take for these corrupt aberrant b*st*rds to get their house in order?  Nanoseconds!
Cromwell redux?

This is 301 of 410,000 priests. I have little doubt there are more, just in an organization that size. Now take 410,000 of any other group in public contact, especially around lots of children, and see how many pedophiles you can find. I'd bet it is more.

What I find unconscionable here is the coverup.

I will assert that the perpetrators, who violated their vows and public trust should be defrocked and prosecuted. Any who covered these incidents up should be also defrocked and prosecuted. Clean house. I'm all for that.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 06:25:28 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Cromwell redux?

This is 301 of 410,000 priests. I have little doubt there are more, just in an organization that size.

Hold on Joe... That ain't right.
This is 301 perpetrators in six dioceses. That is the jurisdictional box. That is the focus. Any per capita argument would be untoward if stepping outside of the focus. And I have a feeling that is a fairly big per capita number... Even if it is historic in the main.

What I find unconscionable here is the coverup.

I will assert that the perpetrators, who violated their vows and public trust should be defrocked and prosecuted. Any who covered these incidents up should be also defrocked and prosecuted. Clean house. I'm all for that.

That's all right on the money... I said elsewhere, it is not the perpetrators that stain the RCC - It is the coverup, and the soft landings... That is an unconscionable breach of trust.

Offline DB

Hold on Joe... That ain't right.
This is 301 perpetrators in six dioceses. That is the jurisdictional box. That is the focus. Any per capita argument would be untoward if stepping outside of the focus. And I have a feeling that is a fairly big per capita number... Even if it is historic in the main.

That's all right on the money... I said elsewhere, it is not the perpetrators that stain the RCC - It is the coverup, and the soft landings... That is an unconscionable breach of trust.

I think it is just plain evil. A betrayal at the most fundamental level. A severe indictment of any church that would tolerate it which they clearly did.

Offline roamer_1

I think it is just plain evil. A betrayal at the most fundamental level. A severe indictment of any church that would tolerate it which they clearly did.

I think everyone is in agreement with that.

Offline Applewood

On a related note:

Pennsylvania AG: Cardinal under scrutiny over report on priest abuse 'is not telling the truth'

Washington (CNN) Pennsylvania Attorney General Josh Shapiro is accusing Cardinal Donald Wuerl, the archbishop of Washington, of "not telling the truth" as he attempts to defend himself amid criticism and calls for his resignation over the release of a Pennsylvania grand jury report detailing allegations of widespread predatory behavior by more than 300 priests against more than 1,000 children.

The report is critical of Wuerl, who served as the bishop of Pittsburgh for 18 years, from 1988 to 2006, and describes him as one of the bishops who helped cover up abusive behavior. The cardinal's defenders note that he acted to discipline some priests as bishop in Pittsburgh and even fought the Vatican against an order to reinstate a predator priest. After the release of the grand jury report on Tuesday, Wuerl said in a statement that it "confirms that I acted with diligence, with concern for the victims and to prevent future acts of abuse."

The Pennsylvania attorney general disagrees. In a statement to CNN, Shapiro said, "Cardinal Wuerl is not telling the truth. Many of his statements in response to the Grand Jury Report are directly contradicted by the Church's own documents and records from their Secret Archives. Offering misleading statements now only furthers the cover up." Shapiro added that the cardinal "should heed the words of Pope Francis who validated our work in Pennsylvania and support the recommendations of the Grand Jury."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/19/politics/pennsylvania-priest-abuse-report-cardinal-wuerl/index.html

Like I said before, Wuerl should be in jail.  But it looks like some people have already judged him and are taking action against him.

Wuerl’s upcoming book has been canceled by the publisher, he abruptly pulled out of his role as keynote speaker at a major global meeting in Ireland, and officials are considering taking his name off a high school in his hometown of Pittsburgh, where Wuerl served as bishop for 18 years before becoming the archbishop of Washington in 2006. On Monday, a vandal got ahead of them — covering his name in red spray paint.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/2018/08/20/0a6ae810-a49f-11e8-97ce-cc9042272f07_story.html?utm_term=.d66883f470b3