Author Topic: The Deflation of the Academic Brand  (Read 514 times)

Offline endicom

The Deflation of the Academic Brand
« on: August 14, 2018, 05:25:25 pm »
National Review
Victor Davis Hanson
Aug. 14, 2018

When self-professed experts are wrong over and over, for decades, what’s the value of a university degree?
Trumpism is sometimes derided as an updated know-nothingism that rejects expertise and the input of credentialed expertise. Supposedly, professionals who could now save us tragically have their talent untapped as they sit idle at the Council of Foreign Relations, the economics Department at Harvard, or in the offices of the Brookings Institution — even as Trump’s wheelers and dealers crash and burn, too proud, too smelly, or too ignorant to call in their betters to come in and save Trump from himself.

But do the degreed classes, at least outside math, the sciences, engineering, and medicine, merit such esteem anymore?

Anthony Scaramucci’s Harvard Law degree seemed no guarantee of the Mooch’s circumspection, sobriety, or good judgement.

Bruce Ohr’s similar degree did not ensure either common sense or simple ethics. Or, on the contrary, perhaps at Harvard he learned that progressive ends justify any means necessary to obtain them. In any case, Ohr thought there was nothing wrong in keeping quiet about his spouse’s work on the discredited Steele dossier, or indeed in aiding and abetting the seeding of it, while he was the fourth-ranking official at Trump’s Department of Justice.

More... https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/08/academic-brand-deflated-elite-degrees-worth-less/

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: The Deflation of the Academic Brand
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 05:52:06 pm »
Yet another home run by Victor Davis Hanson!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Absalom

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 09:18:30 pm »
Reflect a moment.
Those Giants of Antiquity, Greece and Rome, creators of
Western Civilization, never had college degrees, much less PhD's.
How did those poor deprived unfortunates survive and thrive????
Oh the horror and the shame!!! 

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 09:42:44 pm »
Reflect a moment.
Those Giants of Antiquity, Greece and Rome, creators of
Western Civilization, never had college degrees, much less PhD's.
How did those poor deprived unfortunates survive and thrive????
Oh the horror and the shame!!!

Well perhaps it was because they didn't start out several hundred thousands of $$$ in hock!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien