Author Topic: Most people who think they have a penicillin allergy are wrong. That’s dangerous.  (Read 818 times)

Offline endicom

The Mercury News
Kate Furby
Aug. 10, 2018

Are you allergic to penicillin? If so, are you sure about that?

It’s surprisingly common for people to wrongly think they have a penicillin allergy – and that misconception can be dangerous for their health.

Ten percent of all patients in the United States claim to have a penicillin allergy. Of those people, 90 percent are not truly allergic and can tolerate the drug . That means millions of people take alternative antibiotics, which are more expensive and can put their health and potentially the health of others at risk. The solution is a simple allergy test.

A study in the British Medical Journal (BMJ) looked at six years’ worth of medical records for patients in the United Kingdom and found that those with a penicillin allergy had an almost 70 percent greater chance of acquiring a methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infection and a 26 percent increased risk of Clostridium difficile-related colitis (C. diff.). MRSA and C. diff. are major health risks worldwide. The study compared adults with a known penicillin allergy to similar people without a known penicillin allergy.

More... https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/08/10/most-people-who-think-they-have-a-penicillin-allergy-are-wrong-thats-dangerous/

Offline Applewood

My mother had a terrible reaction to penicillin and was restricted to Tetracycline and other synthetics.  I on the other hand am allergic to Tetracycline and some of the other synthetics, but can tolerate penicillin. 

Go figure.

Offline endicom

My mother had a terrible reaction to penicillin and was restricted to Tetracycline and other synthetics.  I on the other hand am allergic to Tetracycline and some of the other synthetics, but can tolerate penicillin. 

Go figure.

From the article, "The solution is a simple allergy test."

That looks right to me and especially now that we're said to be facing a crisis with regards antibiotics. Penicillin is cheap and plentiful and could be more used where appropriate.

Offline Applewood

From the article, "The solution is a simple allergy test."

That looks right to me and especially now that we're said to be facing a crisis with regards antibiotics. Penicillin is cheap and plentiful and could be more used where appropriate.

Haven't needed antibiotics for some time, but it used to be that I had to beg for a penicillin scrip.  The story was that the drug was being over prescribed to the point that it wasn't effective in serious illnesses such as pneumonia. Every doctor wanted to prescribe a synthetic and I couldn't make them understand that the synthetics made me worse.

Online mountaineer

My mother told me at some early point in my life that I was allergic to penicillin, but I have no idea how she knew. Perhaps I'm one of those who really isn't allergic.  Thankfully, I take antibiotics so infrequently, I can't remember the last time. :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline endicom

My mother told me at some early point in my life that I was allergic to penicillin, but I have no idea how she knew. Perhaps I'm one of those who really isn't allergic.  Thankfully, I take antibiotics so infrequently, I can't remember the last time. :shrug:

My medical expertise is nil, but...

I believe that you can develop an allergy to penicillin or grow out of one. If the test is cheap and simple then it may be a good idea to take some opportunity to be tested. I know I haven't had that allergy so I wouldn't worry about it.

Online mountaineer

Yes, I really should ask my doc about testing me for the allergy.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Victoria33

The Mercury News
Kate Furby
Aug. 10, 2018
Are you allergic to penicillin? If so, are you sure about that?
@endicom

Yes, I am sure.  Years ago, when in college, I had a severe flu.  Was given penicillin.  My entire body broke out in bumps.  Doc said to make a paste of baking soda and put it all over me when I went to bed.  The next morning my bed was full of flaked off baking soda.  I did that for days until the bumps went away.  Was told never to take it again. Doctors give me Cipro pills.

I am severely allergic to iodine in any form, including IVP dye and shrimp, clam, and crab.  I have a permanent scar on my arm.  In a hospital, a bit of iodine was put under the skin of my arm.  Nurse came back later and said, "I have never seen one look like that."  The iodine ate down into my arm tissue so far, it had to heal from the bottom up.  It also took the pigment out of the arm which is why it is a permanent white scar.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 02:14:40 pm by Victoria33 »