Author Topic: Dem lawmaker seeks to lower voting age to 16  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Dem lawmaker seeks to lower voting age to 16
« on: August 13, 2018, 10:43:34 pm »
Dem lawmaker seeks to lower voting age to 16
The Hill, Aug 13, 2018, Aris Folley

Rep. Grace Meng is sponsoring a resolution that would extend the right to vote to U.S. citizens 16 years of age or older.

The New York Democrat’s resolution, introduced earlier this month, would repeal the 26th Amendment of the Constitution, which currently states the right to vote for citizens who are 18 years of age or older "shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State."

If the resolution is passed, the amendment would instead say the right to vote for citizens who are 16 years of age or older "shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State."

The resolution comes several months after a City Council member in Washington, D.C., Charles Allen (D), introduced legislation that would lower the age to vote in federal and local elections to 16.

More:  http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/401606-dem-lawmaker-introduces-resolution-to-allow-16-year-olds-to

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Dem lawmaker seeks to lower voting age to 16
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 10:58:33 pm »
This right to vote at 16 would be under the Legal Age of Majority. A parent could forbid their 16 year old child from voting.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 11:00:01 pm »
This right to vote at 16 would be under the Legal Age of Majority. A parent could forbid their 16 year old child from voting.

Never gonna be voted on.  Just a libtard looking for a headline. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 11:07:06 pm »
I say 25 or older.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 11:22:01 pm »
I say 25 or older.

Me too.  At least past the age they are still on their parent's health insurance.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 11:22:47 pm »
Me too.  At least past the age they are still on their parent's health insurance.

Or move out of their parents basements.....

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 11:23:53 pm »
Or move out of their parents basements.....

That might be in their 40's.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 11:34:40 pm »
That might be in their 40's.

Or the 12th of never! 

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 12:50:49 am »
truth seeker wrote:
"I say 25 or older."

At least raise the voting age back to 21, as it traditionally was.

The only exception I would make for that:
Anyone who is younger than 21 holding a DD-214 stating honorable discharge from military service. They've earned their rights, early!

Online Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 01:07:35 am »
Typical liberal.  They aren't satisfied with New York granting that right.  They want to force every other state to grant that right, too.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 01:24:29 am »
At age 16 most are either a sophomore or junior in high school and the majority attend public school.  Gee, I wonder what the topic of study would be right around election time?  I'm sure that the schools would also be eager to ensure that they are registered to vote ... DEM that is.   
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 02:04:31 am »
At age 16 most are either a sophomore or junior in high school and the majority attend public school.  Gee, I wonder what the topic of study would be right around election time?  I'm sure that the schools would also be eager to ensure that they are registered to vote ... DEM that is.

Exactly.  My kids came home talking liberal 101 all the time in High School.  Its nothing but a social engineering opportunity for them.  We had many discussions.

My son is over the liberal thing now.  Its group speak.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 04:51:19 am »
Anybody who cares about the country should want less people to vote.  Restrict priveleges to citizens aged 25 to the point at which they can no longer pass a civics test.  No votes for felons, illiterates, or mentally retarded.  Major corporations put the best and brightest people in decision making positions, but the average voter's IQ is 98 and dropping.  The results are anything but surprising.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 09:05:55 am »
Anybody who cares about the country should want less people to vote.  Restrict priveleges to citizens aged 25 to the point at which they can no longer pass a civics test.  No votes for felons, illiterates, or mentally retarded.  Major corporations put the best and brightest people in decision making positions, but the average voter's IQ is 98 and dropping.  The results are anything but surprising.
21 and a property owner or active duty military/veteran.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 11:12:30 am »
At 14, at least I could have voted for Reagan. 

Just once in my life it would be nice to vote FOR someone.   
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 11:24:23 am »
truth seeker wrote:
"I say 25 or older."

Anyone who is younger than 21 holding a DD-214 stating honorable discharge from military service. They've earned their rights, early!

If they are Active Duty they should have the right to vote.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 11:29:54 am »
21 and a property owner or active duty military/veteran.

I have always thought that owning property should be a requirement. And of course our military and honorably discharged. And felons who have paid their debt to society and meet one of the other 2 requirements.

Offline Blizzardnh

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2018, 11:34:57 am »
  No votes for felons, illiterates, or mentally retarded. 
Don't forget women. 888mouth

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2018, 11:52:00 am »
Interesting thread. As much as I understand the reasons for limiting the right to vote, I find them at odds with conservative philosophy and adherence to the Constitution.

A citizen who is 18 or older has the right to vote, and it should not be infringed. Flame away.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 12:00:40 pm »
At 14, at least I could have voted for Reagan. 

Just once in my life it would be nice to vote FOR someone.

I was 26 when I voted for Reagan the first time. What made it all the more glorious was changing the minds of my German neighbors. They were convinced that RR would start WW3, and pleaded with me to vote for Carter.

In the weeks leading up to the election, I spent 2-3 nights per week in my neighborhood gasthaus arguing the case for Reagan. It was pretty easy, Reagan's platform was clear, and I remembered how he served two productive terms as governor of California.

Best of all, I made my points in German to my neighbors...I had been in country nearly four years, and had lived off base for over 3 by that time, to include a temporary assignment in Northern Germany at a German base. IOW, I was highly conversational at that time.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2018, 02:17:13 pm »
Interesting thread. As much as I understand the reasons for limiting the right to vote, I find them at odds with conservative philosophy and adherence to the Constitution.

A citizen who is 18 or older has the right to vote, and it should not be infringed. Flame away.

But universal suffrage didn't come into play until recently, and few (if any) of the framers would approve of the system we have in place.  Everybody wants to complain about our representatives.  The simple fact of the matter is our politicians are unqualified because the voters are unqualified.  It is foolish to demand better results from our employees until we set standards for the hiring managers.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2018, 02:44:10 pm »
truth seeker wrote:
"I say 25 or older."

Active duty should be eligible to vote.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Hoodat

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2018, 05:00:37 pm »
And anyone collecting public assistance should not.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 04:32:13 am »
And anyone collecting public assistance should not.
Careful how that gets defined. Welfare is public assistance. Legitimate disability, social security, and military disability/retirement are not. Is an unpaid government guaranteed student loan "public assistance"? etc.

I agree that voting for those who will increase the freebie load on the taxpayer by those who reap the unearned benefits is a conflict of interest that cannot be ignored. For the same reason, non-citizens should not have the vote, either.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2018, 04:43:24 pm »
I used to agree that the property ownership would be a good requirement for voting, have more skin in the game.

I have come to recognize the reality that folks would sell 1 square inch lots to allow others the right to vote.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer