Author Topic: Hypersonic airliner "may not be as hard as people think": Boeing CTO  (Read 1531 times)

Offline endicom

Flight Global
Stephen Trimble
Aug. 10, 2018

Hypersonic passenger travel still seems more like dreamy work of science fiction than a feasible commercial project, but this is now a fact: Boeing is working on it, and it’s a serious project.

“It may not be as hard as people think it is,” says Boeing chief technology officer Greg Hyslop, who quickly adds a caveat: “It’s still going to be hard.”

Boeing first unveiled its hypersonic airliner concept on 26 June at an aviation technology conference and highlighted it again at the Farnborough air show in July.

In an industry that has lacked a supersonic transport option since 2003, suddenly proposing a hypersonic airliner as a viable option within 20-30 years seems to register somewhere between the ambitious and the absurd.

More... https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/hypersonic-airliner-may-not-be-as-hard-as-people-th-451069/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Hypersonic airliner "may not be as hard as people think": Boeing CTO
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 12:55:56 am »
Great article...
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 04:12:14 am »
Not economically feasible for most pasengers.

My brother-in-law commuted from NYC to London on the Concorde on his employer's dime (major record company senior exec), but that doesn't mean most passengers would use it even for typical air travel.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 01:51:28 pm »
I remember when I was flying all the time, probably 15 years ago, and they slowed the flights down by about 10% to save money on fuel.

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 02:43:53 pm »
Not economically feasible for most pasengers.

My brother-in-law commuted from NYC to London on the Concorde on his employer's dime (major record company senior exec), but that doesn't mean most passengers would use it even for typical air travel.

Yep. Supersonic drag makes it a fuel hog. Hypersonic will be even worse. Faster than sound travel will always be very expensive. Physics cannot be denied despite wishful thinking.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 02:45:37 pm »
I remember when I was flying all the time, probably 15 years ago, and they slowed the flights down by about 10% to save money on fuel.

Most airliners cruise at about 475-500 mph. That seems to be the most economical speed

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 05:59:21 pm »
Yep. Supersonic drag makes it a fuel hog. Hypersonic will be even worse. Faster than sound travel will always be very expensive. Physics cannot be denied despite wishful thinking.

Exactly!

You gotta push those molecules out of the way somehow!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline endicom

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 06:44:36 pm »
Exactly!

You gotta push those molecules out of the way somehow!

There are fewer molecules at 90,000 feet.

Offline thackney

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 07:33:54 pm »

There are fewer molecules at 90,000 feet.

True.  But a Mach 5, you hit the ones that are there pretty hard and fast.

Which generates more heat on the skin surface?  Airliner at @ 30,000 ft and 560 mph or this @ 90,000 and  3,800 mph?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 09:23:13 am »

Which generates more heat on the skin surface?  Airliner at @ 30,000 ft and 560 mph or this @ 90,000 and  3,800 mph?
I wonder if air could be injected into the atmosphere to provide a slip surface with low friction like supercavitation with a torpedo?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 12:11:24 pm »
I wonder if air could be injected into the atmosphere to provide a slip surface with low friction like supercavitation with a torpedo?

Sourced from where?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 01:19:50 am »

The latter, as evidence I give you the SR-71 and X-15. Both of those flew very fast at 90,000+ ft and got very hot.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 01:22:22 am »

It is still air and will generate the exact amount of drag. To avoid friction from the air, you have to get very high, like 50+ miles up, and there you have to use a rocket since there is no air to run a jet engine.