Author Topic: Cruz campaign slams Beto O’Rourke for not being Whataburger spicy ketchup  (Read 5830 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle By Fernando Ramirez 8/9/2018

Whataburger seems to inject itself into just about any conversation about Texas, so it was only a matter of time before the fast-food chain was dragged into the state's politics.

Ted Cruz's campaign issued a statement to the Star-Telegram on Thursday concerning the likeness of Beto O'Rourke's campaign logo and Whataburger's spicy ketchup.

As many social media users have pointed out, both black and white designs share some similarities.

Which is why Ted Cruz fired back in good fun:

"Unlike the spicy ketchup, when Texans unwrap the O'Rourke packaging, they are definitely not going to like what they see underneath," a Cruz campaign spokesperson told the Star-Telegram. "He's like a Triple Meat Whataburger liberal who is out of touch with Texas values."

More: https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/Ted-Cruz-Beto-O-Rourke-Whataburger-spicy-ketchup-13144032.php

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
What Could Ted Cruz’s Campaign Have Meant When it Called Beto O’Rourke a “Triple Meat Whataburger Liberal”?

Texas Monthly https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/cruz-orourke-whataburger-liberal/

Option 1: Beto O’Rourke may be a liberal, but he is also like Whataburger in some ways

Option 2: A “Triple Meat Whataburger liberal” is like a “limousine liberal”

Option 3: There’s too much liberal meat on this guy

Most likely, by comparing O’Rourke to the biggest sandwich on the Whataburger menu, the Cruz campaign was trying to say that he’s a giant liberal. So liberal, there are three big ol’ liberal patties on this guy! That’s too liberal for Texas—how would you even fit a burger that size into your mouth? You’d have to use a knife and a fork, and at that point, you’re basically a Californian. Texans don’t want a liberal burger that big, if they want one at all. This convoluted explanation makes sense, at least as a way to say that O’Rourke is not like Whataburger in any sense other than that his liberalism, like the chain’s largest burger, is very big.

Despite the fact that this is perhaps the least intuitive read on the statement, we’re going to assume that this is what the Cruz campaign intended. The Whataburger-themed insult is a decidedly tricky thing to pull off, especially in Texas, and the Cruz campaign’s attempt was more of a head-scratcher than a burn—especially when “Whatachicken” was right there for the taking.

Offline GrouchoTex

It was actually a pretty smart thing for Beto to do, to co-op the Whataburger-type logo.
Someone in his campaign made the connection.

So two questions remain:

(1) Does seeing a Beto sign make you hungry for a #2 meal, add cheese, bacon, and jalapenos, with a Dr. Pepper?
(2) Does eating at whataburger make you want to vote for Beto?

Nah, neither, really, but question 1 is definitely a more of possibility for me, and 2 is not an option.
I placed that order in question # 1 yesterday at lunchtime, and Beto didn't cross my mind when doing so.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
It was actually a pretty smart thing for Beto to do, to co-op the Whataburger-type logo.
Someone in his campaign made the connection.

So two questions remain:

(1) Does seeing a Beto sign make you hungry for a #2 meal, add cheese, bacon, and jalapenos, with a Dr. Pepper?
(2) Does eating at whataburger make you want to vote for Beto?

Nah, neither, really, but question 1 is definitely a more of possibility for me, and 2 is not an option.
I placed that order in question # 1 yesterday at lunchtime, and Beto didn't cross my mind when doing so.

That's exactly what Beto and Soros want you to believe.   :pondering:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline GrouchoTex

That's exactly what Beto and Soros want you to believe.   :pondering:

Those Bastardly Dastards!

Offline Frank Cannon

Gosh. Hard to believe Ted is having trouble down there with these solid 1950's style campaign tactics.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Which is why Ted Cruz fired back in good fun:

"Unlike the spicy ketchup, when Texans unwrap the O'Rourke packaging, they are definitely not going to like what they see underneath,"  "He's like a Triple Meat Whataburger liberal who is out of touch with Texas values."

Cripes, even his quips are long winded.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Cripes, even his quips are long winded.

It is either that, or challenge his opponent to a three hour debate. 

Esentials of Linguistic Kill Shots 101:

1. Keep is short
2. Keep it simple
3. Keep it memorable
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Frank Cannon

It is either that, or challenge his opponent to a three hour debate. 

Esentials of Linguistic Kill Shots 101:

1. Keep is short
2. Keep it simple
3. Keep it memorable

Exactly. Ted has got to get his act together.

Offline Night Hides Not

Gosh. Hard to believe Ted is having trouble down there with these solid 1950's style campaign tactics.

Ted is not having trouble, that's fake news. Most of us Ted supporters appreciate the fact that Ted talks in complete sentences.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Some idiotic liberal at my weekly writing group passed out orange and white stiped cards that said "Whatabeto." When he tried to hand one to me, I said, "No, thanks." So, is Whataburger aware of this or should  they sue? The idiot apologized the next week. Of course most of the others are from California, Michigan, and Pennsylvania and they just love Beatoff.

I tell the libs on bookface that when Cruz was arguing before the Supreme Court, the fake Hispanic was playing in a band and driving drunk.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Night Hides Not

Some idiotic liberal at my weekly writing group passed out orange and white stiped cards that said "Whatabeto." When he tried to hand one to me, I said, "No, thanks." So, is Whataburger aware of this or should  they sue? The idiot apologized the next week. Of course most of the others are from California, Michigan, and Pennsylvania and they just love Beatoff.

I tell the libs on bookface that when Cruz was arguing before the Supreme Court, the fake Hispanic was playing in a band and driving drunk.

If it spreads too far, I'm sure Whataburger will complain to the Beto campaign. What good that will do, I have no idea.

Won't stop me from my weekly visits to Whataburger.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline corbe

First the ketchup, now a beer and a 'PALE ALE' at that. 

Texas brewery makes 'Beto Beer' for Democratic Senate candidate

By Justin Wise - 08/10/18 08:34 PM EDT

Texas brewery makes 'Beto Beer' for Democratic Senate candidate

Rep. Beto O'Rourke (D-Texas) now has his name branded on a seasonal beer, in addition to campaign signs for his Texas Senate bid.

Austin, Texas-based, Circle Brewing Co. announced on Friday that its latest seasonal beer is named after the Democratic lawmaker who is running to unseat Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), according to local station, KFOX14.

The brew, called "Beto Beer," was made to highlight O'Rourke's race against Cruz in this year's midterms, the brewer told KFOX.

Circle Brewing said their "Election Pale" ale is meant to promote O'Rourke's campaign and to "help rally more people to go to the polls and drive an increase in voter participation."

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/401358-texas-brewery-makes-beto-beer-for-democratic-senate-candidate

Not to be outdone Sen. Cruz has his official Campaign Beer also.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline LegalAmerican

Too late, the deed is done. I never heard of Beto.  Now, I  know.

I still, don't trust Ted, but don't live in Texas, so no threat. Lyin'Ted. 

Offline corbe

I still, don't trust Ted, but don't live in Texas, so no threat. Lyin'Ted

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

Ted Cruz
 âœ”  @tedcruz 

US Senate candidate, TX

Stop catcalling me.

Cenk Uygur
 âœ”  @cenkuygur
This whole @benshapiro offering to debate @Ocasio2018 issue is ridiculous and shows the bias of the media in favor of the right-wing. Fine, I offer the same $10,000 to debate @tedcruz. Not joking. Guaranteed it gets no coverage. Why won't the bumbling coward Ted Cruz debate me?!

4:22 PM - Aug 10, 2018

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

And, you wonder why you get flak from some of the other members here? 

Offline corbe

I like her, she's got spunk besides she makes me appreciate so much more the rather small but very vocal group of 'docile' Trumpers we are blessed with here.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
    I like her, she's got spunk besides she makes me appreciate so much more the rather small but very vocal group of 'docile' Trumpers we are blessed with here.

Bull, that was just gratuitous trolling.

Offline corbe

No fooling you, @Sanguine, yes I was trolling.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
   No fooling you, @Sanguine, yes I was trolling.

You're a smart man and you know I didn't mean you.

Offline corbe

You're a smart man and you know I didn't mean you.

Obviously, I felt Guilty and just assumed the blame anyway @Sanguine

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
   Obviously, I felt Guilty and just assumed the blame anyway @Sanguine

:silly:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

**nononono*

A most unfortunate comment.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
And, you wonder why you get flak from some of the other members here?

Earned a spot on my very short ignore list after less than a dozen posts here.  Troll for sure!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 02:21:31 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien