Author Topic: In a first, Alaska releases ‘huge amount of data’ to lure new oil explorers  (Read 1311 times)

Offline thackney

In a first, Alaska releases ‘huge amount of data’ to lure new oil explorers
https://www.adn.com/business-economy/energy/2018/08/05/in-a-first-state-releases-huge-amount-of-data-to-lure-new-oil-explorers/

For the first time, Alaska officials have released a trove of exploration data to attract new companies to the North Slope oil fields, including valuable seismic surveys unveiled as part of the state's tax credit program.

The online report, rolled out last week, offers access to an unprecedented collection of data gathered from earlier exploration efforts, said Mark Wiggin, state Natural Resources deputy commissioner. He said the information would cost hundreds of millions of dollars to gather today.

The data targets three sites on the North Slope. The state wants to entice companies to bid on leases in the areas, in a special sale to be held later this year....

...The areas to be offered in the special lease sale are:

• At Harrison Bay, just north of the large, on-shore fields now being developed by ConocoPhillips in the National Petroleum Reserve in Alaska.

• At Gwydyr Bay, north of the Prudhoe Bay oil field.

• At an area called Storms, an inland region south of Prudhoe Bay.

The report is called Special Alaska Lease Sale Areas. It's available by typing the acronym SALSA into the search bar on the state Oil and Gas division's home web page.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

smart move by the state/

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline roamer_1

http://dog.dnr.alaska.gov/documents/resourceevaluation%5Csalsa/salsa_for_public_jul18_final-live.pdf

Sorry @thackney , but I haven't been paying attention... Is AK still whacking em with the progressive production tax that Palin and the Dems saddled the oil companies with? You know, the one she made retroactive and hit em with what was it, $25B, that she promptly lost in the stock market? Last I remember it was chasing everyone off state land and onto federal...

Offline thackney

Sorry @thackney , but I haven't been paying attention... Is AK still whacking em with the progressive production tax that Palin and the Dems saddled the oil companies with? You know, the one she made retroactive and hit em with what was it, $25B, that she promptly lost in the stock market? Last I remember it was chasing everyone off state land and onto federal...

The Palin extra taxes (which helped me leave Alaska) were taken out with the next Administration, Sean Parnell.

Arctic Analysis: Taxes and Arctic Resource Development
https://www.thearcticinstitute.org/taxes-and-arctic-resource-development/
June 27, 2013

Two recent developments have called attention to the role that taxation plays in oil and gas exploration and development in the Arctic. First came announcements by BP and ConocoPhillips of significant new investments in Alaska’s North Slope in response to the state’s recent reduction in oil taxes.

Offline roamer_1

The Palin extra taxes (which helped me leave Alaska) were taken out with the next Administration, Sean Parnell.

Well I am sure that was a relief (the tax getting taken out, not leaving AK)
Thanks for the info

Offline thackney

Well I am sure that was a relief (the tax getting taken out, not leaving AK)
Thanks for the info

Alaska seems to choke their golden goose all too often.  They just haven't strangled it to death, yet.  But they sure squeeze it pretty hard.

For example, only Oil/Gas property pays a state property tax.  Residential, commercial and other industrial property pays a local jurisdiction property tax, but nothing to the state.

http://tax.alaska.gov/programs/index.aspx