Author Topic: California: Union City's police chief learned of a disturbing assault on a Sikh man. Then he found o  (Read 366 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Union City's police chief learned of a disturbing assault on a Sikh man. Then he found out the alleged attacker was his son
Alene Tchekmedyian

The Union City police chief learned of a disturbing assault against a Sikh man in Manteca. Then he found out the alleged attacker was his son.

Union City Police Chief Darryl McAllister was mingling with residents Tuesday at National Night Out when members of the Sikh community brought a disturbing crime to his attention.

About 6 a.m. a day earlier, two men had attempted to rob a 71-year-old Sikh man as he walked by a park in Manteca, about 10 miles south of Stockton. When the man refused to cooperate, one of the suspects knocked the man to the ground — twice. The suspects left the man in the street as they began to walk away. Moments later, the main attacker ran back and kicked the man several times as he lay on the pavement. The confrontation was caught on nearby security cameras and spread on social media and the news. In the video, the suspect appears to spit on the man before running off.

“The greater Sikh community is devastated,” McAllister said in a statement. “They asked me to weigh in on how we could prevent this type of horrific crime in Union City.”

Read more at: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-union-city-chief-20180808-story.html

Probably, another mistaken identity situation where the culprits thought, they were beating up on a Muslim. That is similar to the situation of the Kansas/Missouri man sentenced the other day for shooting people from India, they weren't Muslims.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
'Embarrassed, disgusted' police chief helps trace and arrest son in attack on Sikh man

"Words can barely describe how embarrassed, dejected, and hurt my wife, daughters, and I feel right now," McAllister wrote.

"My stomach has been churning from the moment I learned this news. Even though my status as a law enforcement leader has no bearing or relation to the case whatsoever, I am nonetheless devastated by how much the nature of my son’s actions are such a departure from everything I have stood for in my personal life, and in my 37-year policing career."

Tyrone McAllister, 18, and a 16-year-old boy were arrested by police on Wednesday for an attack on a 71-year-old Sikh man, Sahib Singh Natt, in the city of Manteca, California.

In the video, two men approached Singh, who does not speak English. Singh appears to try to walk away but they confront him and he puts his hands up. The two appear to talk him briefly before one kicks him in the chest, knocking him to the ground. His turban falls off. He gets up and appears to be trying to defend himself when one of the attackers kicks him again, knocking him down. Singh is kicked several more times and an attacker spits on him before leaving.

In the anguished Facebook post, the elder McAllister wrote that he and his wife helped Manteca police track down and arrest their "wayward" son, who was estranged from the family, and had served time in juvenile as well as in adult prison for theft-related incidents. ...

https://abcnews.go.com/US/embarrassed-disgusted-police-chief-helps-trace-arrest-son/story?id=57121894

How awful for this chief and family.