Author Topic: Trump administration moves to open 1.6 million acres to fracking, drilling in California  (Read 590 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Oh man oh man.  I am gonna love watching the enviro wienies explode over this news!

BY DALE KASLER

dkasler@sacbee.com

August 08, 2018 01:46 PM

Ending a five-year moratorium, the Trump administration Wednesday took a first step toward opening 1.6 million acres of California public land to fracking and conventional oil drilling, triggering alarm bells among environmentalists.

The U.S. Bureau of Land Management said it’s considering new oil and natural gas leases on BLM-managed lands in Fresno, San Luis Obispo and six other San Joaquin Valley and Central Coast counties. Meanwhile, activists in San Luis Obispo are pushing a ballot measure this fall to ban fracking and new oil exploration in the county.

If BLM goes ahead with the plan, it would mark the first time since 2013 that the agency has issued a new lease for oil or gas exploration in California, according to the Center for Biological Diversity, which immediately vowed to fight the move. California is the nation’s third largest oil-producing state, after Alaska and Texas, with much of the production concentrated in the southern San Joaquin Valley and Southern California.

https://sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article216322295.html

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

California will put up roadblocks as all oil and gas activities related to drilling will have to obtain approval from state authorities.

In most states, oil and gas companies establish ties to regulating authorities and have input into industry regulation on a joint basis.  Industry activities are seen by most of the other state's bureaucracy as a contributor of financial wealth to the state in the form of jobs and royalties.

In California, DOGGR, under the California Dept of Conservation, who regulates the Oil and Gas sector, also seeks those ties with industry.  However, it is in constant battle with the remaining state bureaucracy who see the industry as nothing but a polluter who must be reigned in extensively in each and every activity.

As an example, here's the 'Renewal Plan' that DOGGR has been forced to develop that emphasizes only environmental protection, with little being said for the role of industry as a wealth creator.

http://www.conservation.ca.gov/dog/Pages/RenewalPlan.aspx
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 12:53:59 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

...California is the nation’s third largest oil-producing state, after Alaska and Texas...

Did I miss North Dakota, Oklahoma and New Mexico seceding from the Union?

Crude Oil Production
https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_crd_crpdn_adc_mbblpd_m.htm

Texas  = 4,243,000 bpd
North Dakota = 1,237,000 bpd
New Mexico = 651,000 bpd
Oklahoma = 529,000 bpd
Alaska = 496,000 bpd
California = 464,000 bpd
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Crude Oil Production

Texas  = 4,243,000 bpd
New Mexico = 651,000 bpd
Oklahoma = 529,000 bpd
Alaska = 496,000 bpd
California = 464,000 bpd

I emailed the author (without the snarking seceding comment).  He changed it to:

California is the nation’s fourth largest oil-producing state, after Texas, North Dakota and Alaska...

He wasn't willing to fall to 6th since Oklahoma and New Mexico recently passed California but the 2017 annual rate still has California in 4th.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I emailed the author (without the snarking seceding comment).  He changed it to:

California is the nation’s fourth largest oil-producing state, after Texas, North Dakota and Alaska...

He wasn't willing to fall to 6th since Oklahoma and New Mexico recently passed California but the 2017 annual rate still has California in 4th.

By golly he did correct it.   Good on you
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline darroll

I can hear the libs yelling clear up here :thud:

Online Hoodat

Crude Oil Production

Texas  = 4,243,000 bpd
New Mexico = 651,000 bpd
Oklahoma = 529,000 bpd
Alaska = 496,000 bpd
California = 464,000 bpd

GOM is #2.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-