Author Topic: Lt. Joe Kenda Is Still Adjusting to Being the (Giant) Face of a TV Network  (Read 800 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Sarah Turcotte
Vulture
August 3, 2018

Most former police officers don’t enjoy a retirement that involves any kind of celebrity, much less one that has yielded a signature wine inspired by their catch phrase, a book deal, and an annual namesake cruise to the Caribbean. But such is now life for 71-year-old Lieutenant Joe Kenda, whose Investigation Discovery series Homicide Hunter has made him a bona fide true crime star.

Kenda’s perch atop the roster of programming on the decade-old true crime powerhouse ID is secure (if not completely natural) in a lineup that includes Wives with Knives, Deadly Women and Stepford Lives of Stepford Wives. Homicide Hunter, true stories from his 23-and-a-half years on the job in Colorado Springs, attracted nearly two million viewers per week last season, its seventh, and shows no signs of slowing.

More

Wikipedia article on Joe Kenda

Offline goatprairie

One of my favorite shows. Can't get enough of Kenda's dry wit/personality.  Reminds me of the character played by Jonathan Banks i.e ex-cop Mike Erhmantraut on "Breaking Bad" and "Better Call Saul."
Kenda investigated close to 400 homicides and had a clearance rate of over 90%. He talks with a lot of authority.  This might be the first cop show of its kind I've ever seen.  Nothing like straight from the horse's ....er..... detective's mouth.

Offline Frank Cannon

Good news for all here! The Death Channel ran an ad tonight during "Killing People With Boats". New Kenda Wednesday August 29th at 10PM!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I love the show, I like his approach. Let the evidence talk to you. Good science, good detective work, with a hunk of practical psychology thrown in.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

I love the show, I like his approach. Let the evidence talk to you. Good science, good detective work, with a hunk of practical psychology thrown in.
I was reading an interview someone did with Kenda after he retired. He said he knew it was time to retire after  his wife said he was due.
He also knew it was time after  he was interviewing  a 75 year old man accused of molesting a five year old girl.  Kenda asked the man why he did it, and the old geezer said the girl asked for it. 
Seconds later Kenda had his hands around the throat of the old bast*rd. He didn't choke the man to death, but he then knew it was time to retire.

Silver Pines

I was reading an interview someone did with Kenda after he retired. He said he knew it was time to retire after  his wife said he was due.
He also knew it was time after  he was interviewing  a 75 year old man accused of molesting a five year old girl.  Kenda asked the man why he did it, and the old geezer said the girl asked for it. 
Seconds later Kenda had his hands around the throat of the old bast*rd. He didn't choke the man to death, but he then knew it was time to retire.

@goatprairie

Don’t even know what to say to that.

@Machiavelli thanks for posting this.  My husband likes Kenda; going to forward it to him.