Author Topic: South Carolina manufacturer says it's closing plant over Trump tariffs  (Read 1396 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Element Electronics, a consumer electronics company in South Carolina, says it will be closing its plant in Winnsboro due to tariffs imposed by President Trump.
The State reported Tuesday that the company was one of the largest remaining employers in Fairfield County after the local Walmart, which used to be the largest grocery store in the county, closed its doors two years ago....

...The news also comes after plans were canceled to build two nuclear reactors in the area, terminating 5,000 construction jobs....

...Element said “the layoff and closure is a result of the new tariffs that were recently and unexpectedly imposed on many goods imported from China, including the key television components used in our assembly operations in Winnsboro,” in a letter to the state’s Department of Employment and Workforce obtained by the local paper. ....

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/400761-south-carolina-manufacturer-says-its-closing-plant-over-trump-tariffs

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: South Carolina manufacturer says it's closing plant over Trump tariffs
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 09:13:01 pm »
And we will be told that we should suck up this pain because none of us NEEDS televisions, and Trump is saving America and getting even with China.

Next we will have a taxpayer-bailout of electronics manufacturers in this country to offset the pain.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 11:06:13 pm »
So a US company selling tvs using as its parts supplier Chinese manufacturers thinks that is a good business model?

I note its Founder worked for Polaroid.  It also executed a failed business strategy.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 11:53:11 pm »
The resident NT'rs/globalists here want you to believe it was the tariffs that closed this plant.   But it wasn't. 
Don't believe it for a second.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 11:54:02 pm »
LOL. The built in excuse for failing companies. "Trump did it". What a load of shit. Next Sears/Kmart will be trotting this shit out. Eff em all.

Offline darroll

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 12:10:58 am »
He got smart.
I tried to find a one volt led. I had to go to a Chinese website and I could only buy 10,000 of them.
They already have total control of most electronics and parts. It's not the tariffs on this one. These deals have been made years ago that enabled them to set pricing and export prices and the manufacturing.

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"

Offline endicom

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 01:50:01 am »
Not actually closing...yet: 

https://twitter.com/ElementTVs/status/1026911419386798085

The comments to that notice were less than kind.