Author Topic: Reporter sues CenterPoint for injuries in incident that killed four during Harvey  (Read 842 times)

Offline thackney

Reporter sues CenterPoint for injuries in incident that killed four during Harvey
https://www.chron.com/business/energy/article/Reporter-sues-CenterPoint-for-injuries-that-13135018.php
August 6, 2018

A journalist for a London newspaper sued CenterPoint Energy for  injuries he received when a rescue boat tangled with live  power lines during Hurricane Harvey, killing four of the seven people in the boat.

Alan Butterfield, a reporter with Daily Mail who lives in Salt Lake City, accused CenterPoint of failing to shut off power in the neighborhoods along Greens Bayou, which was flooded by Hurricane Harvey. The group was headed to rescue a wheelchair-bound resident and Butterfield came along to report on the mission....

...In the lawsuit filed Monday morning in Harris County state district court, Butterfield said it became obvious there were live submerged power lines in the water because of the sparkling and noise coming from them. The group tried to turn their boat around, but the electricity flowing through the water killed the engine, making it impossible to navigate, according to the lawsuit.

The boat began to move toward the live power lines and Butterfield jumped out. He was severely shocked, he said, and managed to escape by climbing a tree where he stayed for nearly 24 hours before he was rescued. Butterfield accused CenterPoint of negligence for failing to take reasonable care to ensure it shut off power to the area during the hurricane, according to the lawsuit....

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
"volunteer rescuers"

Right. This asshat probably convinced those guys with the boat it would make a good story and conned them into doing this dangerous stunt without proper training or supervision and without permission from the authorities.  The guy should be in jail for murder not looking for a payday.

but I could be wrong as the story was devoid of any facts.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
"volunteer rescuers"

Right. This asshat probably convinced those guys with the boat it would make a good story and conned them into doing this dangerous stunt without proper training or supervision and without permission from the authorities.  The guy should be in jail for murder not looking for a payday.

but I could be wrong as the story was devoid of any facts.

There were a lot of volunteer rescuers, and they rescued a lot of people.  As you say, there's not enough information in the story to definitively call him an "asshat".

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
There were a lot of volunteer rescuers, and they rescued a lot of people.  As you say, there's not enough information in the story to definitively call him an "asshat".

NAh.  I'll stick with asshat till proven wrong.  Besides he's a limey. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
This is a known risk of going into a dangerous area after a disaster. The power company can't just snap their fingers and fix this. I would be certain if they were all warned before they packed up or headed out, of the risks and they are responsible for their own safety.

Yes, it is tragic that it happened, but it isn't something that can be blamed on negligence.