Author Topic: Got Ideas for an Aging Space Station? NASA Wants to Hear Them  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Got Ideas for an Aging Space Station? NASA Wants to Hear Them
« on: August 07, 2018, 01:51:32 am »
Bloomberg By Justin Bachman August 6, 2018

The Trump administration wants to end U.S. funding for the International Space Station and turn it over to the private sector. But does the math work?

For 18 years, the International Space Station, the orbiting zenith of global scientific cooperation, has hosted a continuous human presence and thousands of science experiments in its microgravity environment. But the $100 billion laboratory won’t last forever and President Donald Trump’s proposal to withdraw federal funding in 2025 has jolted a discussion about its future.

The idea of ending the U.S. taxpayer’s role—the station costs more than $3 billion annually in a partnership with Russia, Europe, Canada and Japan—has stirred congressional opposition. It also raises a perplexing question: Who might run the place if the U.S. government doesn’t?

The Trump administration is betting on private enterprise to take over, freeing up billions to spend on a Lunar Orbital Platform-Gateway, a planned outpost designed to return U.S. astronauts to the moon in the 2020s and to Mars the following decade.

“I do believe there’s an opportunity for a commercial consortium to manage it and I believe that if we can make that transition then the money that we’re currently spending on the ISS can go toward the Gateway and get us to the surface of the moon,” NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said last month in an interview with Bloomberg News.

In his budget request, Trump also sought $150 million from Congress to promote new commercial developments in space. This plan has an array of doubters, who don’t see low earth orbit as commercially viable by 2025.

NASA’s Inspector General, Paul Martin, is one such skeptic. “We question whether a sufficient business case exists under which private companies will be able to develop a self-sustaining and profit-making business independent of significant federal funding within the next six years,” Martin wrote in a July 30 report about the station’s management, reiterating comments he made before Congress in May.

NASA will confront “significant challenges” in trying to get companies interested in taking over an “extremely costly and complex enterprise,” especially as it creeps toward its planned retirement in 2028, the Inspector General said.

More: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-06/got-ideas-for-an-aging-space-station-nasa-wants-to-hear-them

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Re: Got Ideas for an Aging Space Station? NASA Wants to Hear Them
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 02:06:01 am »
I'd be happy to contribute, but I'm going to need a closer look.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 02:13:05 am »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 02:16:09 am »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.