Author Topic: Was It Really So Much Better Then?  (Read 1013 times)

Offline mrclose

Was It Really So Much Better Then?
« on: August 06, 2018, 09:23:32 pm »
Having heard this again after so many years, I still get sentimental tears and wonder ... How the #ell can this generation depend on Rap for similar fond memories?

What a beautiful voice Judith has!

Yes Has ... because looking them up (The Seekers), she is still performing!
(75 years old)

! No longer available
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline goatprairie

Re: Was It Really So Much Better Then?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 03:28:51 am »
Although the sixties era was supposedly the height of rebellious rock, many of the biggest stars grew up listening to the music of their parents. That means they heard mostly melodic, pop and swing music with little dissonance. And many rockers came out of the folk music scene which featured many great melodies.  They learned how to sing.
Succeeding generations though heard mostly only rock, so they didn't have a grounding in melodic music.
I just can't figure out what goes for modern music today.
The wife and I have sat through numerous meals in many restaurants in the past fifteen years where modern pop/rock/hip hop was played constantly.
We are still waiting to hear our first decent melodic recording after  being forced to listen to thousands over the decade.
Why can't modern musicians come up with decent melodies? It's a big mystery.

Offline AmericanaPrime

• Americana Prime
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 01:37:34 pm »
Well, I'm a metal fan, and speaking only for myself, this era destroys anything we had back in the day. There is so much good music I can't even find the time to really appreciate it all.
Visit my website @ AmericanaPrime.com!

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 04:39:40 pm »
Well, I'm a metal fan, and speaking only for myself, this era destroys anything we had back in the day. There is so much good music I can't even find the time to really appreciate it all.
Name us one these great purveyors of modern music please.

Offline AmericanaPrime

• Americana Prime
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 09:18:42 pm »
Name us one these great purveyors of modern music please.

Unnecessary, I'm not trying to justify it to you. It was my opinion, within a single genre, and also highly subjective.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 09:25:21 pm »
Unnecessary, I'm not trying to justify it to you. It was my opinion, within a single genre, and also highly subjective.

Are you a Hip-Hop fan?  Maven of the genre?

@AmericanaPrime
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline AmericanaPrime

• Americana Prime
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 09:43:53 pm »
Are you a Hip-Hop fan?  Maven of the genre?

@AmericanaPrime

No, I listen to metal exclusively. I hate hiphop with a passion, but it means a lot to some people.

All of this is individualized, and seen through our own persective. For a black youth that grew up poor, hip hop means a great deal to him, because it speaks more to his existence and experience than any other genre, even if it is technically inferior to other forms.