Author Topic: YouTube, Apple and Facebook Ban Infowars, Which Decries 'Mega Purge'  (Read 2721 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
They have the audacity to believe they are private companies instead of public utilities. How dare they choose what content is on their sites.

YouTube, Apple and Facebook have removed main outlets for conspiracy theorist Alex Jones and his Infowars website, citing repeated violations of policies against hate speech and glorifying violence. Infowars responded by accusing the companies of censorship.
The streaming service Spotify also expanded a ban imposed last week on some of Jones' content, saying Monday that "The Alex Jones Show has lost access to the Spotify platform.".....

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/06/636030043/youtube-apple-and-facebook-ban-infowars-which-decries-mega-purge

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: YouTube, Apple and Facebook Ban Infowars, Which Decries 'Mega Purge'
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 07:28:22 pm »
You should use the"/s" tag.  Some people might think you are serious!

****slapping

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline ABX

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 07:29:30 pm »
You should use the"/s" tag.  Some people might think you are serious!

****slapping

People here are generally smarter than a certain other site where folks get all in a hissy over not being told something is sarcasm. Sometimes obvious sarcasm is very obvious.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 07:33:08 pm »
People here are generally smarter than a certain other site where folks get all in a hissy over not being told something is sarcasm. Sometimes obvious sarcasm is very obvious.

Well we are smarter than the average bears.  But just the same!   333cleo

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 08:06:10 pm »
They have the audacity to believe they are private companies instead of public utilities. How dare they choose what content is on their sites.
Corporations have no brains. How are they able to choose anything?

I'm pretty sure all of the companies you mentioned... ahem... are public. They all had IPO's many years ago. Apple even passed the trillion-dollar mark this past week.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline ABX

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 08:09:37 pm »

I'm pretty sure all of the companies you mentioned... ahem... are public. They all had IPO's many years ago. Apple even passed the trillion-dollar mark this past week.

Corporations are groups of people working toward a common goal.

And the reference to 'public versus private' is if they are public sector organizations (government agencies) versus private sector (businesses). Not if they are publically traded.

Offline kidd

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 08:20:59 pm »
Paranoid Alex Jones gets picked on by big corporations.

Snort!

Offline ABX

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 08:23:56 pm »
The big ironic thing of all is that we always complain about fake news, well Jones is about as fake as it gets- and he even admitted, in court, under oath, that he is a complete fake and this is all an act.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 08:30:23 pm »
The big ironic thing of all is that we always complain about fake news, well Jones is about as fake as it gets- and he even admitted, in court, under oath, that he is a complete fake and this is all an act.

So is Sacha Baron Cohen. A complete fake.  But he is celebrated by the left as a modern-day provocateur and hero.   I'd say the same for Jones.   But then that's what double standards are all about.

Offline ABX

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 09:15:50 pm »
So is Sacha Baron Cohen. A complete fake.  But he is celebrated by the left as a modern-day provocateur and hero.   I'd say the same for Jones.   But then that's what double standards are all about.

I think the difference is Cohen comes out and admits he is a fake and his shows are known parodies.

Jones, on the other hand, tells his audience that everything he says is true and he spreads blatantly false information (not just bias or spun, but out and out dangerous bullshit) as real. He is well beyond the 'fake news' of CNN and MSNBC. He is in a league all his own.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 09:24:58 pm »
Should that matter, though? This still is Twitter banning someone simply because they don't like what he says, which makes them look petty - and hypocritical, considering Twitter allows the racist Sarah Jeong and others just like her to continue to post.

Why not let the reader determine what's fake or not? I don't even follow Jones and never read his tweets. But Twitter is going overboard with banning people like him, Candace Owens or anyone the powers-that-be at Twitter fear might possibly be conservative.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline ABX

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 09:31:15 pm »
Should that matter, though? This still is Twitter banning someone simply because they don't like what he says, which makes them look petty - and hypocritical, considering Twitter allows the racist Sarah Jeong and others just like her to continue to post.

Why not let the reader determine what's fake or not? I don't even follow Jones and never read his tweets. But Twitter is going overboard with banning people like him, Candace Owens or anyone the powers-that-be at Twitter fear might possibly be conservative.

Twitter has every right to though.

Take all this and make it about a book store instead.

Would a Christian bookstore have the right to choose what books are on their shelves and reject, for example, a book on Satanism?  Or should they be required to carry everything and 'let readers decide'? 

Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube are storefronts selling content (technically selling your activity to advertisers and advertising to you) and they have every right to choose what content they promote, demote, or reject. If consumers don't like it, they don't have to do business with them, just like a Satanist doesn't have to do business at a Christian bookstore.

What should really be insulting to everyone is how these private businesses are being forced to grovel at the feet of big brother right now and 'explain themselves' (Darryl Issa's hearings/investigations currently going on).

Like with so many other things, the government should not be involved in this at all.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 10:30:24 pm »
Not long ago every home and business, had a copy of the "Phone Book."

The regulated public utility telephone company, distributed names, addresses, categories, ads for those they provided service to.

How about if they had ommited people and companies, which they deemed to do so, for various reasons?

Say unpopular churches? Or minor political parties?

Do any of you know definitively the SPECIFIC community standars that Jones violated?

I listen regularly to some podcasts ad youtubers. They all report of being "demonitized," for reasons they do not understand.

To many of them it seems politically motivated.

When youthink political bias, be advised the bent of Silicon Valley is closer to neomarxist Berkely than yoou might realize. Shutting down freespeech on campus is an example.

Facebook, Google=Youtube are probably LING when they claim otherwise.

The size, reach, power of these quasi public utility-like services is monopoistic.

The United States once dealt with such power, for reasons many might agree with today.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 11:40:49 pm »
Twitter has every right to though.  ...

Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube are storefronts selling content (technically selling your activity to advertisers and advertising to you) and they have every right to choose what content they promote, demote, or reject. If consumers don't like it, they don't have to do business with them, just like a Satanist doesn't have to do business at a Christian bookstore.
I don't disagree. I'm the first to say that this is not a First Amendment issue. Yes, Twitter and Facebook can discriminate against conservatives, however stupid it makes them look.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 12:32:28 am »

Well they DO have a CEO and a COO and... yeah... never mind. You're right.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 12:33:49 am »
Paranoid Alex Jones gets picked on by big corporations.

Snort!

It ain't paranoia if they really are out to get you...

Online Wingnut

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 12:42:15 am »
Those companies should silence all right wing and or conservative voices anyway possible.  It would complete the total conversion to the echo chamber they so aspire to create.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 01:24:13 am »
Not long ago every home and business, had a copy of the "Phone Book."

The regulated public utility telephone company, distributed names, addresses, categories, ads for those they provided service to.

How about if they had ommited people and companies, which they deemed to do so, for various reasons?

Say unpopular churches? Or minor political parties?

Do any of you know definitively the SPECIFIC community standars that Jones violated?

I listen regularly to some podcasts ad youtubers. They all report of being "demonitized," for reasons they do not understand.

To many of them it seems politically motivated.

When youthink political bias, be advised the bent of Silicon Valley is closer to neomarxist Berkely than yoou might realize. Shutting down freespeech on campus is an example.

Facebook, Google=Youtube are probably LING when they claim otherwise.

The size, reach, power of these quasi public utility-like services is monopoistic.

The United States once dealt with such power, for reasons many might agree with today.

No, the Federal Government SHOULD NOT REGULATE FACEBOOK, TWITTER, and YOUTUBE as a public utility.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline ABX

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2018, 01:47:46 am »

No, the Federal Government SHOULD NOT REGULATE FACEBOOK, TWITTER, and YOUTUBE as a public utility.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2018, 02:09:59 am »

Agree.  I see conservatives on Twitter calling for regulations so Twitter and Facebook can't do this. I have to yell, "Do you know what you're ssking for?!"

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2018, 02:32:24 am »
Agree.  I see conservatives on Twitter calling for regulations so Twitter and Facebook can't do this. I have to yell, "Do you know what you're ssking for?!"

It is not that hard to put up an alternative site. Also, why in the hell are conservatives defending Alex Jones.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline ABX

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2018, 03:06:27 am »

And we are falling right into this bait.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,327517.0.html

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2018, 04:02:12 am »

It is not that hard to put up an alternative site. Also, why in the hell are conservatives defending Alex Jones.

Because he has every right to be heard, just like anybody.

Offline thackney

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2018, 11:39:49 am »
Because he has every right to be heard, just like anybody.

A right to have a place on a company website owned by others?  A right?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer