Author Topic: Grandmother arrested after blocking pipeline construction in Ford Pinto  (Read 2279 times)

Offline thackney

Re: Grandmother arrested after blocking pipeline construction in Ford Pinto
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2018, 01:00:40 pm »
Next iteration, I was selected to teach a college friend to drive like a bootlegger (Group Project), and got a little too much air with his Vega and bottomed it hard on the landing. That's the time I cracked the oil pan. I ended up shelling out a bunch of precious beer money to get that welded.

I had a similar experience in an '81 doge omni hatchback.  Oil pan survived but the water pump didn't.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2018, 01:50:33 pm »
Remember when a dead battery meant nothing as long as you had a few friends to give you a running push?

Or if you didn't have any friends...parking it facing down a hill.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2018, 02:34:43 pm »
I drove that puppy like a rented mule. (It was my brother's and he'd have killed me If he knew some of the shenanigans I did with that car,

I built several of them in my time... None for me. One of my buddies was pretty hot for em, and because I had done the work before, and helped maintain his, I wound up doing a handful more.

I was always fixin to build one for me, but never got it done. I pretty well stayed in Chevelles and El Caminos... El Caminos particularly. Probably best. I am a big dude, and I don't fit in a Vega.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2018, 07:45:36 pm »
I built several of them in my time... None for me. One of my buddies was pretty hot for em, and because I had done the work before, and helped maintain his, I wound up doing a handful more.

I was always fixin to build one for me, but never got it done. I pretty well stayed in Chevelles and El Caminos... El Caminos particularly. Probably best. I am a big dude, and I don't fit in a Vega.
I'm only 6-1, but it was a snug fit. Helped keep me in the seat during some of the stuff I pulled... :whistle:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2018, 08:29:54 pm »
My brother, sister and my sister's friend once headed out on Christmas Eve in our family's infamous "grabber lime" 1971 Pinto to get a Christmas tree. Not to buy one, necessarily: They snatched one off a closed tree lot, stuffed it in the back of the Pinto, and hightailed it out of there. Good times!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2018, 09:49:34 pm »
I'm only 6-1, but it was a snug fit. Helped keep me in the seat during some of the stuff I pulled... :whistle:

Well, I am a bit taller than you... and my head was on the lid... but more than that, my swampers hit all the pedals at once, and I had to keep the window down for a place for my shoulder to go....  :shrug:

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2018, 09:22:41 pm »
Well, I am a bit taller than you... and my head was on the lid... but more than that, my swampers hit all the pedals at once, and I had to keep the window down for a place for my shoulder to go....  :shrug:
Geez. Sounds like me trying on a mini-cooper once (early '70s). Thank Heaven it had a sunroof. I almost took it for a drive, but I realized that if I had to stop suddenly, either my mouth or the bridge of my nose would hit the edge of the sunroof, and I like chewing food and being able to breathe....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis