Author Topic: Michigan: Muslim state rep introduces bill to make falsely claiming food as halal a misdemeanor cri  (Read 717 times)

rangerrebew

Michigan: Muslim state rep introduces bill to make falsely claiming food as halal a misdemeanor crime
July 31, 2018 / creeping   

LANSING — State Reps. Abdullah Hammoud (D-Dearborn) and Robert Wittenberg (D-Huntington Woods) have introduced House Bills 6119 and 6120, which would revise kosher and halal food service laws in Michigan to increase transparency and address fraud.

HB 6120, sponsored by Rep. Hammoud, would establish misdemeanor penalties for a person who misrepresents food as kosher or halal or who knowingly prepares, distributes, sells or exposes food falsely claimed to be kosher or halal.

https://creepingsharia.wordpress.com/2018/07/31/hammoud-halal-misdemeanor/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The penalty for falsely labeling food "Kosher" or "halal"  should be much the same as the penalty for labeling food as "organic" or otherwise misleading the customer as to the nature of what is in the package.

I think that's just fair. Now can we get the work "healthy" off the package? Every meal I eat brings me that much closer to my demise.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

The penalty for falsely labeling food "Kosher" or "halal"  should be much the same as the penalty for labeling food as "organic" or otherwise misleading the customer as to the nature of what is in the package.

I think that's just fair. Now can we get the work "healthy" off the package? Every meal I eat brings me that much closer to my demise.

As a guy trying to eat kosher, I will heartily concur. Truth in advertising would be nice  - even without the kosher label. Imagine my surprise when I found out, after years of buying Jennie - O brand turkey based italian sausage that they are packed into a pork intestine... Why the heck would they do that, even if they weren't claiming kosher? 

Offline Smokin Joe

As a guy trying to eat kosher, I will heartily concur. Truth in advertising would be nice  - even without the kosher label. Imagine my surprise when I found out, after years of buying Jennie - O brand turkey based italian sausage that they are packed into a pork intestine... Why the heck would they do that, even if they weren't claiming kosher?
Probably because turkey intestines were too small bore.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

Probably because turkey intestines were too small bore.

Use an artificial casing, or a sheep casing... Anyone buying a turkey italian sausage is ONLY buying it to avoid pork, for whatever reason.

Offline Smokin Joe

Use an artificial casing, or a sheep casing... Anyone buying a turkey italian sausage is ONLY buying it to avoid pork, for whatever reason.
(Oh, poo. That joke bombed.) I'm actually surprised they didn't use the artificial casing.

But turkey casings would have looked more like linguini...

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

(Oh, poo. That joke bombed.) I'm actually surprised they didn't use the artificial casing.

But turkey casings would have looked more like linguini...

LOL! Sorry... It wasn't you - It's still got me riled up.

Offline Smokin Joe

LOL! Sorry... It wasn't you - It's still got me riled up.
:beer:

C S Lewis