Author Topic: In Trump era, Beto O'Rourke eyes an end to Republican grip on Texas  (Read 2482 times)

Offline thackney

Re: In Trump era, Beto O'Rourke eyes an end to Republican grip on Texas
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2018, 05:48:19 pm »
Yep.  There are like 3 or 4 blue counties that will prolly go for Paddy O'Furniture.   Harris, Travis, Dallas and whatever county San Antonio is in.

I would guess a few more.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2018, 05:55:53 pm »
Dallas and Tarrant counties are more red than you might think. The suburbs surrounding Dallas and Fort Worth are Cruz country.

Dallas county voted for Hillary Clinton 60.75% over Donald Trump 34.64%, Tarrant did keep Trump in the lead.

Hidalgo county is also going to add significant votes to the fake Hispanic column.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2018, 07:04:15 pm »
Cruz has been all over the state campaigning, and I don't see that changing any time soon.
I think he'll be fine.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2018, 07:42:13 pm »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2018, 07:51:47 pm »

We may be a Red state, but we are deeply independent as well and can buck national trends. We are the State of Ann Richards and Willie Nelson. If Beto decides to change his tone and start swinging a shotgun around and talking about the little guy (especially if he goes up against government land grabs), and worse, gets famous Democrat Willie Nelson on stage with him, it could change the dynamic in a heart beat.

You are actually hanging your hat on Ann Richards, the broad who got in only because of the tongue of Bill Clements and was unable to win reelection? 

BTW, that was 28 years ago she was elected Governor.  Guess how many Democrats have been elected statewide since that time?  And we have been 'deeply independent' the whole entire time, so that 'heartbeat dynamic' has been thumping otherwise for a long, long time.

And I do not know what Willie Nelson has to do with it.  Was he elected to some office or are you just sorta hoping he would?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2018, 08:05:05 pm »
You are actually hanging your hat on Ann Richards, the broad who got in only because of the tongue of Bill Clements and was unable to win reelection? 

BTW, that was 28 years ago she was elected Governor.  Guess how many Democrats have been elected statewide since that time?  And we have been 'deeply independent' the whole entire time, so that 'heartbeat dynamic' has been thumping otherwise for a long, long time.

And I do not know what Willie Nelson has to do with it.  Was he elected to some office or are you just sorta hoping he would?

It isn't that long ago in people's minds. I know many people in Texas who by all account, are died in the wool Conservatives, but would never vote Republican or may have under Bush. But, they would change in a moment if the winds blow differently. I can walk down the street now and find 10 senior citizen neighbors who used to be Yellow Dog Democrats, who voted Republican for a decade, but would switch in a heart-beat if they don't like the candidate. Some aren't into the labels game as we think isolated in political forums. They will vote for who is familiar and seems likable.

As for Willie, well don't discount what pop culture attractiveness can do. He is one example, but our favorite native son. If Willie started making commercials with Beto, even if it changed 1-2% if it doesn't sound like much, it could change the dynamic.

Either way, always, always fight like you are 20 points down. Don't take anything for granted.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2018, 09:44:47 pm »
I'll reply to you with some "tos trump" love.... wink777

Well, I ended that thread. 

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2018, 09:48:54 pm »
Well, I ended that thread.

I think it died 4 months ago!   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2018, 01:33:50 am »
It isn't that long ago in people's minds. I know many people in Texas who by all account, are died in the wool Conservatives, but would never vote Republican or may have under Bush. But, they would change in a moment if the winds blow differently. I can walk down the street now and find 10 senior citizen neighbors who used to be Yellow Dog Democrats, who voted Republican for a decade, but would switch in a heart-beat if they don't like the candidate. Some aren't into the labels game as we think isolated in political forums. They will vote for who is familiar and seems likable.

As for Willie, well don't discount what pop culture attractiveness can do. He is one example, but our favorite native son. If Willie started making commercials with Beto, even if it changed 1-2% if it doesn't sound like much, it could change the dynamic.

Either way, always, always fight like you are 20 points down. Don't take anything for granted.
You give a lot more credit to the pop culture than to Texans.  And Willie is definitely not some 'native son'.  I used to see him down at Scholz's in the early 70s.  Willie was ok, but not nearly as popular as others like Jerry Jeff or later Stevie Ray.

In any case, you seem to be projecting Austin onto the rest of Texas.  That is a big big no-no.