Author Topic: Beauty Queen Learns: Fingernail Cancer Is Real  (Read 326 times)

rangerrebew

Beauty Queen Learns: Fingernail Cancer Is Real
« on: July 31, 2018, 01:28:17 pm »

Beauty Queen Learns: Fingernail Cancer Is Real

By Robert Preidt

THURSDAY, July 26, 2018 (HealthDay News) -- Karolina Jasko was a high school senior when a nail salon worker pointed out the black vertical line on her right thumbnail.

Because she typically painted her nails, the black line had gone unnoticed and unheeded, but then it started to show signs of infection.

At that point, Jasko sought out medical advice and got her diagnosis: a melanoma of the nail.

https://www.webmd.com/cancer/news/20180726/beauty-queen-learns-yes-fingernail-cancer-is-real#1

Online Polly Ticks

Re: Beauty Queen Learns: Fingernail Cancer Is Real
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 01:47:13 pm »
Interesting.  I'm seeing a number of warnings about the risks of shellac / gel nail polish and the associated UV exposure, but this article says:

Unlike melanoma of the skin, ultraviolet radiation exposure is likely not an important risk factor for nail melanoma. The two main risk factors for nail melanoma are previous nail trauma and a personal or family history of melanoma, Lipner said.

I suppose that doesn't negate any theoretical risks of extra UV exposure to the fingers (not just the nails), but I found it interesting in any case.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra