Author Topic: 2 American cyclists killed in Tajikistan in possible terror attack  (Read 851 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
2 American cyclists killed in Tajikistan in possible terror attack
By Ed Adamczyk

July 30 (UPI) -- Four bicyclists, two of them Americans, were killed in a possible terrorist attack while biking through Tajikistan, the interior ministry said Monday.

Two were from the United States, one the Netherlands and one Switzerland. Officials said they died when they were run down by a car Sunday and attacked with knives and guns.

Three of the bikers died at the scene and the fourth at the hospital. Three other cyclists were injured but survived. The crash occurred in Takikistan's Danghara district, near the border with Afghanistan.

Read more at: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2018/07/30/2-American-cyclists-killed-in-Tajikistan-in-possible-terror-attack/4041532963289/?sl=2
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 04:21:49 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Re: 2 American cyclists killed in Tajikistan in possible terror attack
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 04:23:20 pm »
Some cyclists wear cameras, looks like the attack may be on video:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/30/video-of-tourists-killed-in-tajikistan-shows-deliberate-attack

https://www.rferl.org/a/tajikistan-attack-foreign-cyclists/29398357.html 
Video, so maybe a passing car got the video.

Four dead, 2 Americans, now, I think there were a total of 5 cyclists:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-45004059
Two people suspected of involvement in the incident were later killed, Tajik officials say.

It's a big deal for some cyclists to try and ride around the world.  Details just coming in.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 04:50:17 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 04:14:28 pm »
Proof is being submitted by ISIS, that those in the car that hit the cyclists were indeed part of an ISIS cell.  See picture at link....some or at least, one of those guys, could look straight-up like Westerners in this case. Tajikstan being part of the former Soviet Union:

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/afghan-official-roadside-bomb-kills-11-western-province-56931568

CBS/AP July 31, 2018, 7:20 AM
ISIS claims attack on cyclists in Tajikistan, releases video of purported cell

MOSCOW -- The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) has claimed responsibility for an attack in Tajikistan that left four cycle tourists, including two Americans, dead over the weekend. The terror group released a video later on Tuesday purportedly showing the five men who carried out the attack pledging allegiance to its leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

Tajik police earlier issued a statement blaming a banned Islamist political party for the attack, in which a driver allegedly rammed his car into the group of foreign cyclists and then joined his passengers in going after them with knives.

ISIS initially claimed responsibility for the attack in a generic statement late Monday, offering no proof of a connection, but on Tuesday the group disseminated the two-minute and 40 second video showing five young men sitting under a tree on a hilltop, speaking Tajik with Arabic subtitles, pledging allegiance to al-Baghdadi but saying nothing specific about any attack plot.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 12:27:08 am »
Millennial Couple Bikes Through ISIS Territory to Prove ‘Humans Are Kind’ and Gets Killed
Michael Sinkewicz
15 Aug 2018
"Evil is a make-believe concept we've invented to deal with the complexities of fellow humans."

A progressive young American couple was killed in an Islamic State-claimed terrorist attack last month while on a bike trip around the world.

Jay Austin and Lauren Geoghegan, who were both in their late 20s, quit their jobs in 2017 to embark on a trip around the world. Austin, a vegan, and Geoghegan, a vegetarian, decided that they're were wasting their lives working.

"I’ve grown tired of spending the best hours of my day in front of a glowing rectangle, of coloring the best years of my life in swaths of grey and beige,” Austin wrote on his blog before he quit. “I’ve missed too many sunsets while my back was turned. Too many thunderstorms went unwatched, too many gentle breezes unnoticed.”

The couple documented their year-long journey on social media until it came to a tragic and gruesome end in Tajikistan, a country with a known terrorist presence.

Austin and Geoghegan were riding their bikes in the country on July 29 when they were rammed by a car, according to CBS News. Five men got out of the car and stabbed them to death along with two other cyclists, one from Switzerland and the other from the Netherlands.   ...  More at Pluralist
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mrclose

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 12:27:34 am »

I almost feel sorry for them, being so naive.
They must have believed Marie Harf saying ISIS just needed jobs.

I guess they got to celebrate diversity and meet new, interesting people.

And then they met ISIS.

Adult-children who feel free to construct fantasies, blind them to inconvenient realities.
To compensate, they idealize the targets of their misdirected and pathological caring.

(Excerpt)

"Evil is a make-believe concept we've invented to deal with the complexities of fellow humans."

A progressive young American couple was killed in an Islamic State-claimed terrorist attack last month while on a bike trip around the world.

Jay Austin and Lauren Geoghegan, who were both in their late 20s, quit their jobs in 2017 to embark on a trip around the world. Austin, a vegan, and Geoghegan, a vegetarian, decided that they're were wasting their lives working.

"I’ve grown tired of spending the best hours of my day in front of a glowing rectangle, of coloring the best years of my life in swaths of grey and beige,” Austin wrote on his blog before he quit. “I’ve missed too many sunsets while my back was turned. Too many thunderstorms went unwatched, too many gentle breezes unnoticed.”

The couple documented their year-long journey on social media until it came to a tragic and gruesome end in Tajikistan, a country with a known terrorist presence.

https://www.pluralist.com/posts/1824-millennial-couple-bikes-through-isis-territory-to-prove-humans-are-kind-and-gets-killed
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline jpsb

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 12:31:15 am »
Darwin award winners. You can't cure stupid.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 02:09:46 am »
Darwin award winners. You can't cure stupid.

I appreciate their thoughtfulness for taking themselves out of the gene pool.

Online corbe

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 02:29:15 am »
     I feel so guilty for LMFAO at this.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 11:33:43 am »
     I feel so guilty for LMFAO at this.

It's hard not to laugh. Smug and smirky, virtue-signaling hipsters are some of the most enraging people on the planet, constantly wanting to dictate the morality of everyone while making you the patriarchal oppressor for not agreeing with them.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 12:48:22 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 12:44:36 pm »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 12:47:19 pm »
As Oscar Wilde once said: it would take a heart of stone not to laugh.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Mod2

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 01:13:42 pm »
Merged two threads, as older thread adds relevant info.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 02:33:44 pm »
I hope their bikes were okay.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.