Author Topic: GM Falls Victim To Trump’s Trade War As Metal Prices Sink Profit  (Read 1187 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
General Motors Co. has become the highest-profile American company to fall victim to Donald Trump’s trade wars by cutting its profit forecast for this year on surging prices for steel and aluminum.

Adjusted earnings will drop to about $6 a share, down from a previous projection for as much as $6.50 a share, the Detroit-based company said Wednesday. Raw material costs probably will be a $1 billion headwind -- roughly double GM’s previous expectation. The carmaker’s shares are on course for their steepest one-day plunge in more than seven years.

The hit to GM’s profit underscores the risk that Donald Trump’s policies pose to automakers. While the U.S. president is moving to weaken fuel economy mandates, his tariffs on steel and aluminum -- and potentially on imported cars -- is undercutting what was shaping up to be a near-record year for an iconic American company that weeks ago was riding high on a $2.25 billion investment in its autonomous-driving unit.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2018-07-25/gm-cuts-profit-forecast-as-surging-metals-prices-boosts-costs
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I'm sorry but I find it very difficult to conjure up any sympathy for GM after all the crap they got away with during the Obama years.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 07:39:50 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

I'm sorry but I find it very difficult to conjure up any sympathy for GM after all the crap they got away with during the Obama years.

It is not just GM.

Trump's steel, auto tariffs damage GM, Fiat Chrysler, Ford
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/07/25/gm-ford-fiat-chrysler-trump-tariffs/827983002/

...German automakers are also at serious risk of losses, while Japanese automakers, including Toyota, have warned of the impact, as well....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
It is not just GM.

Trump's steel, auto tariffs damage GM, Fiat Chrysler, Ford
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/07/25/gm-ford-fiat-chrysler-trump-tariffs/827983002/

...German automakers are also at serious risk of losses, while Japanese automakers, including Toyota, have warned of the impact, as well....

And perhaps the president is using the tool he has at hand to actually achieve something.   https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-eu-tariffs/eu-commissioner-suggests-broad-cuts-to-tariffs-with-u-s-idUSKBN1KF0JI

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

And perhaps the president is using the tool he has at hand to actually achieve something.   https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-eu-tariffs/eu-commissioner-suggests-broad-cuts-to-tariffs-with-u-s-idUSKBN1KF0JI

The European Union’s budget commissioner suggested on Wednesday the bloc would be ready to discuss mutual tariff cuts with the United States across a range of products, provided Washington lifts recent punitive tariffs first.

- - - - - -

So they won't even discuss the possibility until the US tariff is gone?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
The European Union’s budget commissioner suggested on Wednesday the bloc would be ready to discuss mutual tariff cuts with the United States across a range of products, provided Washington lifts recent punitive tariffs first.

- - - - - -

That's their opening position.   I suspect that it will rapidly change.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Cool.  That makes the used cars on my lot worth more!

Winning!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline GrouchoTex

It sounds like The US and it's EU trade partners are talking about free trade now.
That's a start.
Tariffs may make some winners and some losers, but it's the consumers who absorb the price in the end.
Government(s) shouldn't pick winners and losers in a capitalist society, which, we all are now.
Some countries more than others, of course.
Hopefully, this was all a ploy to bring everyone to the table.
The stock market doesn't like the tariffs, either.
News of negotiations going on sent the market upward today.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

- - - - - -

that is a non-starter
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Cool.  That makes the used cars on my lot worth more!

Winning!

Good for you!  You should ride that wave not to the shore, but all the way to where they rent the beach umbrellas!

U.S. steel furnaces are starting up as we type.

Offer prices that are significantly LOWER than the higher priced Chinese.  And they're off...
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald