Author Topic: US extends five hydro dam construction licenses  (Read 1131 times)

Offline endicom

US extends five hydro dam construction licenses
« on: July 24, 2018, 11:57:34 pm »
Next Big Future
Brian Wang
July 24, 2018

* the Gathright Hydroelectric Project located in Alleghany County, Virginia;
* the Flannagan Dam and Reservoir Hydroelectric Project located in Dickenson County, Virginia;
* the W. Kerr Scott Hydropower Project located on the Yadkin River in Wilkes County, North Carolina;
* the Jennings Randolph Hydroelectric Project located on the North Branch of the Potomac River in Garrett County, Maryland, and Mineral County, West Virginia; and
* the Cannonsville Hydroelectric Project located on the West Branch of the Delaware River in upstate New York.

More... https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/07/us-extends-five-hydro-dam-construction-licenses.html

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: US extends five hydro dam construction licenses
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 12:39:54 am »
It will not surprise me if more construction licensing for dams will be seen in the future to supplement renewables if @thackney is correct that pumped power storage is the way to go.

Of course, do not depend upon the west coast to allow them as they love their fish too much are are going the opposite direction.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 01:01:03 am »
It will not surprise me if more construction licensing for dams will be seen in the future to supplement renewables if @thackney is correct that pumped power storage is the way to go.

Of course, do not depend upon the west coast to allow them as they love their fish too much are are going the opposite direction.

We're going to need the electricity and having a variety of sources is good. I just hope they're not earthen dams that might fail with the next heavy rains.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 02:19:09 pm »

We're going to need the electricity and having a variety of sources is good. I just hope they're not earthen dams that might fail with the next heavy rains.
Well, from what I have read, earthen dams are fine in suitable terrain and condtions, and are actually preferred in earthquake-prone areas as they are less likely to fail.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 02:34:39 pm »
Well, from what I have read, earthen dams are fine in suitable terrain and condtions, and are actually preferred in earthquake-prone areas as they are less likely to fail.

Okay, I'll amend that to say I hope they are sustainable dams.