Author Topic: China tariffs force layoffs at Moonlight Meadery, owner says  (Read 696 times)

Offline Suppressed

China tariffs force layoffs at Moonlight Meadery, owner says
Owner says he had to lay off wife after deal fell apart
WMUR Updated: 6:40 PM EDT Jul 20, 2018
Mike Cherry  Anchor/Reporter

LONDONDERRY, N.H. —
As President Donald Trump threatens to expand a trade battle with China and impose tariffs on all $505 billion worth of imports into the U.S., one New Hampshire small business said it has already been forced into layoffs.

Moonlight Meadery of Londonderry has won acclaim and medals for its meads and ciders. But it hasn't avoided fallout from the $34 billion trade war between the United States and China.

The brewery had agreed to ship 100,000 bottles per year to China. After the business bought supplies and hired additional help, tariffs killed the deal. Owner Michael Fairbrother said the scuttled deal with China means half of Moonlight Meadery's barrels are sitting empty.

[...]

http://www.wmur.com/article/china-tariffs-force-layoffs-at-moonlight-meadery-owner-says/22502695
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

Re: China tariffs force layoffs at Moonlight Meadery, owner says
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 07:00:11 pm »
So what?!  It's just a stupid small business.  There are union bosses and big business to subsidize on the backs of hard-working Americans!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: China tariffs force layoffs at Moonlight Meadery, owner says
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 07:03:29 pm »
You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs. Some people will just have to accept their jobs and businesses will have to sacrifice to MAGA.