Author Topic: Texas Smashes 1925 Heat Record as Power Prices Surge on Demand  (Read 1556 times)

Offline thackney

Texas Smashes 1925 Heat Record as Power Prices Surge on Demand
https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/2018/07/19/texas-smashes-1925-heat-record-as-power-prices-surge-on-demand

North Texas smashed a 93-year-old daily heat record Thursday, with the mercury climbing to 108 degrees Fahrenheit (42 Celsius) in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

“Delay walking your dog until sunset” during the heat wave, the National Weather Service said in a message posted on Twitter. “Our infrared thermometer measured 136 degrees this afternoon on the sidewalk. These temperatures are hot enough to burn Fido’s paws.”...

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Re: Texas Smashes 1925 Heat Record as Power Prices Surge on Demand
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 11:47:26 am »
Texas power use hits record in heat wave, more peaks ahead: ERCOT
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-texas-power-demand/texas-power-use-hits-record-in-heat-wave-more-peaks-ahead-ercot-idUSKBN1K92QD

...The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) said demand reached a system-wide peak of 73,259 megawatts (MW) between 4 and 5 p.m, topping the prior record high of 72,192 MW on Wednesday. One megawatt can power about 1,000 U.S. homes.

To keep air conditioners running, Texas utilities are buying electricity from all sources, keeping power prices near seven-year highs hit earlier in the week....

...High temperatures in Houston were expected to reach 98-101 degrees Fahrenheit (37-39 Celsius) every day from July 16-23, according to AccuWeather.

The normal high in Houston, the fourth-largest U.S. city, at this time of year is 94-95 degrees F....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 12:45:32 pm »
Texas Smashes 1925 Heat Record as Power Prices Surge on Demand
North Texas smashed a 93-year-old daily heat record Thursday, with the mercury climbing to 108 degrees Fahrenheit (42 Celsius) in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
“Our infrared thermometer measured 136 degrees this afternoon on the sidewalk. These temperatures are hot enough to burn Fido’s paws.”...
@thackney
@CatherineofAragon
@Cyber Liberty

I am in north Texas (north of Dallas, 10 miles south of Denton) and it was 109 yesterday and the day before and the day before,etc.
Prissy, the Yorkie, is a fruitcake, she wants out, then lies flat down on the hot concrete outside the back door.  She is apparently warming up from being in the cool house.  After about ten minutes, she wants back in the house, she is panting from the heat even though she was just lying down.

Last Saturday was another 107-109.  We go to church on Saturday, and this time there was a noticeable absence of cars on the roads/highways.  Those are usually packed and it is Saturday when people buy stuff.  Not so last Saturday.  It appears people are staying inside.  Merchants are losing money right now; customers are staying home.

Silver Pines

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 01:26:13 pm »
@thackney
@CatherineofAragon
@Cyber Liberty

I am in north Texas (north of Dallas, 10 miles south of Denton) and it was 109 yesterday and the day before and the day before,etc.
Prissy, the Yorkie, is a fruitcake, she wants out, then lies flat down on the hot concrete outside the back door.  She is apparently warming up from being in the cool house.  After about ten minutes, she wants back in the house, she is panting from the heat even though she was just lying down.

Last Saturday was another 107-109.  We go to church on Saturday, and this time there was a noticeable absence of cars on the roads/highways.  Those are usually packed and it is Saturday when people buy stuff.  Not so last Saturday.  It appears people are staying inside.  Merchants are losing money right now; customers are staying home.

@Victoria33

Omg.  I want to pack and move to upper Canada when it gets into the nineties here, but 109? 

Victoria, does your A/C struggle to keep your house cool in those temps?

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 01:27:55 pm »
Yesterday, it was so hot, I saw 2 trees fighting over a dog.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 02:23:06 pm »
Not in TX, but we're getting hammered with monsoonal humidity in the high desert where I live...evaporative coolers don't work well in those conditions.

Temps are expected to hit 107° + this week, plus the "high" humidity in the 30-40% range.

It's been a pretty miserable July so far...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 02:25:28 pm »
It is supposed to be hot here again today, but at least there is a breeze.
We haven't really had one the last 3 days or so.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 02:46:11 pm »
@Victoria33  Omg.  I want to pack and move to upper Canada when it gets into the nineties here, but 109? 
Victoria, does your A/C struggle to keep your house cool in those temps?
@CatherineofAragon

Remember it was Bob (the physicist/earth scientist/geologist) who had this house built.  There are two air conditioners, the air flow inside the house was calculated while it was being built, to determine where the two units should be placed to get max effect from each one in each portion of the house.   Should both go off, my emergency prep to stay cool goes into effect immediately. I will not be hot.  Do not worry. 

Silver Pines

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 10:39:05 pm »
@CatherineofAragon

Remember it was Bob (the physicist/earth scientist/geologist) who had this house built.  There are two air conditioners, the air flow inside the house was calculated while it was being built, to determine where the two units should be placed to get max effect from each one in each portion of the house.   Should both go off, my emergency prep to stay cool goes into effect immediately. I will not be hot.  Do not worry.

@Victoria33

Okay, that's good.

Our old HVAC wasn't really suitable for the house, so during extreme heat waves, the temperature would often start to rise in the afternoon before the sun went down.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 10:50:49 pm »
I have lived in North Texas for thirty years.  We’ve had worse. Methinks somebody has an agenda with these stories.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 01:15:24 am »

Interesting, since I remember experiencing 108 in DFW less than 20 years ago.

It was hot, but the air was so dry it was little more than an annoyance.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 02:21:00 am »

I don't live too far from that bullseye in Texas
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 02:21:49 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 12:50:35 pm »
Waco hit 114F yesterday, hottest day ever recorded there, beating the old record of 112F.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 12:52:24 pm »
Waco hit 114F yesterday, hottest day ever recorded there, beating the old record of 112F.

105 at home yesterday.  I've been visiting friends up north and am headed home.  Not looking forward to the heat.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 03:04:56 pm »
I have lived in North Texas for thirty years.  We’ve had worse. Methinks somebody has an agenda with these stories.

As one who’s lived 30+ years in Texas (10 in El Paso, 20 in Irving), I agree with you completely.

Spent the last week on vacation in Southern California, I must say the weather has even awesome. Found a great, friendly winery in Oceanside, with some killer Shiraz. My wife wasn’t pleased when I told her I bought six bottles, but it’s my compensation for cutting my vacation short while she continues on for another week...son has mandatory band camp starting tomorrow.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 03:18:48 pm »
As one who’s lived 30+ years in Texas (10 in El Paso, 20 in Irving), I agree with you completely.

Spent the last week on vacation in Southern California, I must say the weather has even awesome. Found a great, friendly winery in Oceanside, with some killer Shiraz. My wife wasn’t pleased when I told her I bought six bottles, but it’s my compensation for cutting my vacation short while she continues on for another week...son has mandatory band camp starting tomorrow.

Same here.  The only summer I can remember that seemed among the hotter than hot was in 1980.  We all prayed for fall.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.