Author Topic: The $247 trillion global debt bomb  (Read 825 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The $247 trillion global debt bomb
« on: July 22, 2018, 10:33:48 pm »

The untold story of the world economy — so far at least — is the potentially explosive interaction between the spreading trade war and the overhang of global debt, estimated at a staggering $247 trillion. That’s “trillion” with a “t.” The numbers are so large as to be almost incomprehensible.

Households, businesses and governments borrow on the assumption that they will service their debts either by paying the principal and interest or by rolling over the debts into new loans. But this works only if incomes grow fast enough to make the debts bearable or to justify new loans. When those ingredients go missing, delinquencies, defaults and (at worse) panics follow.

Here’s where the trade war and debt may intersect disastrously. Since 2003, global debt has soared. As a share of the world economy (gross domestic product), the increase went from 248 percent of GDP to 318 percent. In the first quarter of 2018 alone, global debt rose by a huge $8 trillion. The figures include all major countries and most types of debt: consumer, business and government.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-247-trillion-global-debt-bomb/2018/07/15/64c5bbaa-86c2-11e8-8f6c-46cb43e3f306_story.html
The Republic is lost.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: The $247 trillion global debt bomb
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 10:43:12 pm »
Hmmm, WaPo is interested in debt?  While they should be it's interesting that they've just now become aware and alarmed - or "woke".

Offline LMAO

Re: The $247 trillion global debt bomb
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 12:02:28 am »
Hmmm, WaPo is interested in debt?  While they should be it's interesting that they've just now become aware and alarmed - or "woke".

Interesting how a change in White House occupants did that. This is one of those " they're right but were where they the previous eight years" issues
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy