Author Topic: Onetime Bush doctor is gunned down riding bicycle to hospital where he worked  (Read 1991 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Onetime Bush doctor is gunned down riding bicycle to hospital where he worked
Paulina Dedaj

Former President George Bush waves as he leaves with cardiologist Mark Hausknecht and Bush's family doctor Ben Orman at Methodist Hospital Feb. 25, 2000 in Houston.  (AP)

A cardiologist who once treated former President George H.W. Bush was gunned down Friday morning while riding his bicycle through Houston’s Texas Medical Center.

Houston Police Executive Assistant Chief Troy Finner said that 65-year-old Dr. Mark Hausknecht was riding a bicycle northbound on South Main Street about 9 a.m. when the suspect, also riding a bicycle, drove past him, turned around and fired two shots.

Read more at: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/20/onetime-bush-doctor-is-gunned-down-riding-bicycle-to-hospital-where-worked.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fnational+%28Internal+-+US+Latest+-+Text%29
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 03:58:37 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

What a tragedy, it's hard to fathom that another bicyclist is the one who did it. Read the last paragraph, the cyclist turned around on his bike and fired at the doctor. What's the world coming to?

Just a joy kill? Random murder?  Targeted?

The doctor in the picture above, appears to be holding a model of a heart.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 04:05:07 am by TomSea »

Offline Applewood

I'm sure Alex Jones has a doozy of a conspiracy theory regarding this shooting. 

Could be road rage, although one report I read said the shooter passed the doctor going in the opposite direction.  If true, unless the doctor was in the perp's space somehow, then road rage doesn't seem plausible. 

Robbery?  Or maybe just no rational reason.  People kill for no reason a lot these days. 

Rest in peace, Dr. Hausknecht, and may God comfort your loved ones.

Offline mountaineer

Bizarre. The story I read said police didn't know whether was the specific target. If he wasn't, it's even stranger.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Gang initiation killing?
Bicycle road rage?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Does that houston med center place have surveillance camera's?  I hope they get the bastard.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Homicide detectives were reviewing surveillance video from businesses in the area to find video of the gunman.

"There are a lot of cameras, so we're hoping we can get some footage of this and bring this violent criminal into custody, where he needs to be right away," said Executive Assistant Chief Troy Finner of the Houston Police Department

https://houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Reports-of-shooting-prompt-lockdown-at-Rice-13091308.php

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Black on white violence will probably be the last thing you will read about.

Likewise Class violence, by Antifa types.

Resentment by opioid addict, foiled by doctors from more getting more drugs?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline the_doc

What a tragedy, it's hard to fathom that another bicyclist is the one who did it. Read the last paragraph, the cyclist turned around on his bike and fired at the doctor. What's the world coming to?

Just a joy kill? Random murder?  Targeted?

The doctor in the picture above, appears to be holding a model of a heart.
My wife witnessed a drive-by shooting by a guy on a bicycle way back in the 1990s.  I hope it's not finally catching on.

Offline TomSea

Here everyone, I hope you can follow the link and see a sketch of the alleged perpetrator.

http://abc13.com/sketch-released-of-suspect-wanted-for-killing-dr-mark-hausknecht/3801612/

Offline Applewood

Thanks @TomSea

Rather crass of the widow to use her late husband's death to promote an anti-gun agenda.  With all due respect, supposed sensible gun laws would not prevent such a senseless killing of her husband.  Blowing away perpetrators of such violence might, however.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The "sketch" seems like an effort to not reveal the suspect's race.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

The "sketch" seems like an effort to not reveal the suspect's race.
Weren't the eyewitness descriptions of a white or Hispanic man?

Offline TomSea

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Police-release-new-photo-video-of-suspect-in-13098508.php

New image of suspect on CCTV and some from a car video cam it appears.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Police-release-new-photo-video-of-suspect-in-13098508.php

Though the picture is blurry, I think if someone knew a bike rider like this, they could identify him. The above link has a video.

Offline Night Hides Not

Gang initiation killing?
Bicycle road rage?

For those of us annoyed by Lance Armstrong wannabe cyclists, I for one am not at all surprised by the premise of bicycle road rage. If you're on the Campion Trail in Irving, stay alert. Signs posted clearly say that pedestrians have a right of way, but they're ignored by cyclists with impunity. They just can't stand to have to slow down for those out with families, or teaching youngsters how to ride a bike.

To: yesthatjallen
The most dangerous animals I've encountered on our local walking trails are Lance Armstrong wannabes. Not surprised if it was a road rage.
They really get upset when they have to slow down for others.
13 posted on ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018‎ ‎8‎:‎58‎:‎18‎ ‎AM by Night Hides Not (Remember the Alamo! Remember Goliad! Remember Gonzales! Come and Take It!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies | Report Abuse]

To: Night Hides Not
The most dangerous animals I've encountered on our local walking trails are Lance Armstrong wannabes.
As a cyclist, the most dangerous animals I've encountered on our mixed-use trails are idiot pedestrians who walk two or three abreast. We call them bikeway turtles.
And then there are the doofuses who let their dogs run wild across the path, or let them nip at passersby.
21 posted on ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018‎ ‎9‎:‎49‎:‎55‎ ‎AM by IronJack
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies | Report Abuse]

To: IronJack
Right of way per local law goes to pedestrians, you just proved my point.

22 posted on ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018‎ ‎9‎:‎58‎:‎46‎ ‎AM by Night Hides Not (Remember the Alamo! Remember Goliad! Remember Gonzales! Come and Take It!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies | Report Abuse]

To: Night Hides Not
"Right of way" doesn't apply on mixed-use trails. It's just as dangerous for a pedestrian to interfere with a cyclist as it is for a cyclist to interfere with a pedestrian. And it's a lot easier for a pedestrian to step off the shoulder than it is for a cyclist to ride in the rough.
A little mutual courtesy goes a long way.
25 posted on ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018‎ ‎11‎:‎23‎:‎36‎ ‎AM by IronJack
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 22 | View Replies | Report Abuse]

To: IronJack
A bicyclist, mentioning mutual courtesy. LOL
That’s like a Congressman mentioning trustworthiness.

26 posted on ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018‎ ‎12‎:‎36‎:‎08‎ ‎PM by DesertRhino (Dog is man's best friend, and moslems hate dogs. Add that up. ....)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 25 | View Replies | Report Abuse]
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline mountaineer

New images show George H.W. Bush's cardiologist being followed by cyclist gunman with a 'fully loaded' backpack just moments before the prominent doctor was shot dead on his way to work

... The images appear to show the shooter riding behind Hausknecht, who was dressed in his blue medical scrubs, just moments before the fatal encounter.

The suspect appeared to be clean-shaven and wearing a blue polo shirt, khaki ball cap and tan shorts. He was also carrying an olive-green backpack that police have described as 'fully loaded'.   ...

Hausknecht's wife, Dr. Georgia R. Hsieh, said in a statement that her husband loved Houston and to honor him, people should 'work hard, be responsible, patient, tolerant and compassionate.'

Hsieh also spoke of the need for gun control legislation, asking people to write, email or tweet their congressional representatives 'urging sensible gun laws.'    ...

The perp

More at Daily News, including more surveillance photos.
Would sensible gun laws have had any effect on a fully loaded backpack?   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
The good doctor was targeted.  It was a hit.  Anyone that is an avid cyclist knows that road rage is NOT part of the mentality of cyclists.  Serious cyclists are generally gracious people.

Those that are on cycles that nearly run over pedestrians, usually on sidewalks are NOT cyclists.  They are idiots that do not know the rules of the road.  And in the park I usually walk five miles each time around Stone Mountain, if a cop sees a cyclist riding his/her bike on the sidewalk, he will pull the violator over.  I have seen it happen numerous times in the park.

Offline TomSea

The good doctor was targeted.  It was a hit.  Anyone that is an avid cyclist knows that road rage is NOT part of the mentality of cyclists.  Serious cyclists are generally gracious people.

Those that are on cycles that nearly run over pedestrians, usually on sidewalks are NOT cyclists.  They are idiots that do not know the rules of the road.  And in the park I usually walk five miles each time around Stone Mountain, if a cop sees a cyclist riding his/her bike on the sidewalk, he will pull the violator over.  I have seen it happen numerous times in the park.

I agree, a killing it be random or a targeted assassination has little to do with someone bringing up a beef against cyclists in general and even at that, I agree, cyclists conducting themselves in such an ill-manner are, imo, not common at all.

Sure, once in a while, I will read about a cyclists hitting someone on a sidewalk or something. How does that compare to the number of accidents where cyclists have been killed say, by someone texting in their car? That has happened a number of times or just in general accidents. I ride a bike but I hardly feel safe to be like these cyclists one sees in traffic sometimes. If they are obeying the traffic laws, they have as much right to be there as anyone.

Cyclists on walkway paths? Yes, I'm sure it happens.

All the same, that has very little to do with a cyclist shooting another cyclist in what appears to be an intentional killing and what appeared to be on a road as well.  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Applewood

Doctor who treated former President George H.W. Bush likely targeted, police say

There is a high probability a cardiologist who treated former President George H.W. Bush was targeted when he was fatally shot last week riding his bicycle to work, Houston's police chief said Wednesday.

But Chief Art Acevedo emphasized that investigators are still not certain of the motive.

More at:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/25/us/mark-hausknecht-possibly-targeted-houston/index.html

@jafo2010   You may have been right.

Offline mountaineer

Newly released surveillance video of suspect released; story here

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
$5 says the shooter is never found.
The Republic is lost.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Wingnut

Arrest warrant out for suspect in slaying of Houston doctor

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Police-to-release-more-information-in-slaying-of-13123522.php

@SZonian

Thanks for posting the update.  As several stated early on, this did not seem like a random act of violence.  Now it has been confirmed.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
$5 says the shooter is never found.

Not alive anyway.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

Arrest warrant out for suspect in slaying of Houston doctor

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Police-to-release-more-information-in-slaying-of-13123522.php

Thanks for posting the update.

The suspect, Joseph James Pappas, 65, is now wanted on an arrest warrant. He is the son of one of Hausknecht's former patients, who died during surgery over 20 years ago, according to the chief.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer