Author Topic: Trump says he's 'ready' to put tariffs on all $505 billion of Chinese goods imported to the US  (Read 7317 times)

Offline corbe

I'd like to try some of your Stash Frank if you can ship across state lines.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
   I'd like to try some of your Stash Frank if you can ship across state lines.

Where do you think Amazon got the bright idea to use Drones to ship packages?

That's right.

Frank is ahead of the curve... and the Feds if he can outrun them and bury his accountants where sunlight may never find their bones again.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Ricardo is dead my friend.

When you said "Lil Ricky"  I thought you were referring to Desi Arnaz Jr.  And he is still alive. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
When you said "Lil Ricky"  I thought you were referring to Desi Arnaz Jr.  And he is still alive.

Desi Sr and Jr. were never spokesmen for Chrysler.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Desi Sr and Jr. were never spokesmen for Chrysler.

And neither was Frank Cannon.   Are you day drinking?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline corbe

Franks always been partial to GM rust around the rear window and the quarter panels.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Hoodat

Au contraire.

! No longer available
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

Who do you think sold Chrysler the rights to use his patented Rich Corinthian Leather?

Not to mention his long resume of voice-over work.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Most favored nation status should never have been renewed with China, finally, someone standing up to the wrongs.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
President Donald Trump has indicated that he is willing to slap tariffs on every Chinese good imported to the U.S. should the need arise.

"I'm ready to go to 500," the president told CNBC's Joe Kernen in a "Squawk Box" interview.

The reference is to the dollar amount of Chinese imports the U.S. accepted in 2017 — $505.5 billion to be exact, compared to the $129.9 billion the U.S. exported to China, according to Census Bureau data.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/trump-says-apos-apos-ready-100900482.html

Great. Literally everything I buy is electronic and made in China. Thanks Trump.

I guess it's my own damn dumb fault I voted for you.

• Technical
It isn't just the crap you buy at Wal Mart. The easy ability to import inexpensive goods has caused a boom in small business reselling those goods. I like to use the example of women's clothing botiques. They seem to be popping up all over the place. Within a block of my office, three or four are open and booming. All of these are locally owned by middle class families. Without sites to import at low prices like Alibaba, they likely wouldn't have been able to start up. So it isn't just the cost of goods you directly buy that are impacted, but local businesses as well.

I challenge everything to take a ten minute drive around your town and spot every locally owned business that opened in the past 5 years. I will bet a vast majority get most of their inventory from imports.

:hands:

The MAGA-bleep that post on this forum will just never understand the benefits of trade like this, resellers and such.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 10:50:36 am by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline Axeslinger

:hands:

The MAGA-bleep that post on this forum will just never understand the benefits of trade like this, resellers and such.

As you know, I am hardly a “MAGA-bleep”....but the trade imbalance has been so ridiculously out of whack for decades, that we needed a president to rein that back in and push a more America first viewpoint.  And it needs to be pushed until we aren’t as reliant on all that cheap Chinese shit and some of those industries return to our shores....and yes it will be somewhat painful for all sides of the equation, but we must remove ourselves, to whatever extent we can, from the possibility of being bent over the barrel.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

• Technical
As you know, I am hardly a “MAGA-bleep”....but the trade imbalance has been so ridiculously out of whack for decades, that we needed a president to rein that back in and push a more America first viewpoint.  And it needs to be pushed until we aren’t as reliant on all that cheap Chinese shit and some of those industries return to our shores....and yes it will be somewhat painful for all sides of the equation, but we must remove ourselves, to whatever extent we can, from the possibility of being bent over the barrel.

:facepalm:

This will do nothing but make things more expensive for working people, it will not return jobs to American shores, automation has rendered those jobs redundant long ago. But nobody could expect you magatards to be intelligent about economics.

Good lord are you dumb.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

The thing people don’t seem to understand...is that in a true free market economy you’ll never ever have perfectly balanced trade with other nations. There will always be something we want more of from one country than they want to import from us and the other way around.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Hoodat

The thing people don’t seem to understand...is that in a true free market economy you’ll never ever have perfectly balanced trade with other nations. There will always be something we want more of from one country than they want to import from us and the other way around.

DING DING DING !!!  WE HAVE A WINNER !!!

It baffles me to no end to hear others expecting a nation with a standard of living one-fourth that of the United States to purchase the same amount of goods from us that we purchase from them.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
But nobody could expect you magatards to be intelligent about economics.

Good lord are you dumb.

'Magatards'?  Correction there sir, Axeslinger is NOT a member of the Trump brigade.

And he is hardly dumb, even though I disagree with his position here.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
DING DING DING !!!  WE HAVE A WINNER !!!

It baffles me to no end to hear others expecting a nation with a standard of living one-fourth that of the United States to purchase the same amount of goods from us that we purchase from them.

I honestly don't know why people are so wrong on the simplest level of knowledge of economics and government that I've known about since High School.

At some point I have to believe it's willful ignorance in order to further the politics of the guy they voted for.

There is no other explanation.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I was reading about this earlier, Larry Kudlow seems at the forefront working on this tariff business. He seems to know his stuff.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Just this March......

Kudlow: Mr. President, tariffs are really tax hikes

President Trump genuinely believes that his steel and aluminum tariffs will save thousands of blue collar jobs.

Steel and aluminum may win in the short term, but steel and aluminim users and consumers will lose. In fact tariff hikes are really tax hikes, Larry Kudlow writes.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/03/kudlow-mr-president-tariffs-are-really-tax-hikes.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Looks like Trump does not want to limit his economic war to be limited to trade and tariffs, but a currency war as well.

This ought to be fun as the consequences of this begin to unravel upon our heads - the worlds largest debtor nation with nearly a hundred trillion in debt with a fiat currency based on borrowing more debt and deficit spending to the tune of trillions each year.

We are only afloat because the rest of the nations in the world are worse off.  But once that reserve currency status ends and the world moves away from the Dollar - the real fun will begin.  Russia and China dumping treasury notes might just be the beginning.

Currency War Breaks Out After Trump Accuses China and Europe of Manipulation

President Donald Trump changed the conversation on Friday from trade war to currency war when he tweeted that China and the European Union are “manipulating their currencies and interest rates lower.”

Wall Street’s top currency analyst, Jens Nordvig, told Bloomberg that “Trump’s rhetoric over the last 24 hours is certainly shifting this from a trade war to a currency war.”

Offline Concerned

Just this March......

Kudlow: Mr. President, tariffs are really tax hikes

President Trump genuinely believes that his steel and aluminum tariffs will save thousands of blue collar jobs.

Steel and aluminum may win in the short term, but steel and aluminim users and consumers will lose. In fact tariff hikes are really tax hikes, Larry Kudlow writes.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/03/kudlow-mr-president-tariffs-are-really-tax-hikes.html

I think anyone who wants to truly get educated about tariffs, their history, and what a couple of economists, who advised Trump think about them, should read the above CNBC Commentary by Lawrence Kudlow, Arthur B. Laffer, and Stephen Moore.  One key passage was as follows:

But even if tariffs save every one of the 140,000 or so steel jobs in America, it puts at risk 5 million manufacturing and related jobs in industries that use steel. These producers now have to compete in hyper-competitive international markets using steel that is 20 percent above the world price and aluminum that is 7 to 10 percent above the price paid by our foreign rivals.

In other words, steel and aluminum may win in the short term, but steel and aluminum users and consumers will lose. In fact, tariff hikes are really tax hikes.

‎ Some of those 5 million jobs will be put in harm's way. And if they sell less to foreigners, the trade deficit goes up, not down.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline kevindavis007

Glad I got my Lenovo just in perfect time.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Looks like Trump does not want to limit his economic war to be limited to trade and tariffs, but a currency war as well.

This ought to be fun as the consequences of this begin to unravel upon our heads - the worlds largest debtor nation with nearly a hundred trillion in debt with a fiat currency based on borrowing more debt and deficit spending to the tune of trillions each year.

We are only afloat because the rest of the nations in the world are worse off.  But once that reserve currency status ends and the world moves away from the Dollar - the real fun will begin.  Russia and China dumping treasury notes might just be the beginning.

Soros was behind the Euro manipulation that made it stronger than the U.S. dollar...wouldn't surprise me if he helped the ChiComs too.