Author Topic: Tornadoes touch down in Iowa, causing several injuries and destruction  (Read 639 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Tornadoes have touched down in central Iowa, displacing families and causing destruction across multiple counties.

A number of people were injured and sent to the hospital. They were later released after suffering minor injuries, police said.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/tornadoes-touch-iowa-causing-injuries-destruction/story?id=56702391

-----------

Tornado was real close here in SE Iowa.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Applewood

A report I saw on tv said the tornados were unexpected.   So much for early warning systems and modern technology. 

Lucky that there were only survivable injuries and no one died.

Offline goatprairie

I remember reading years ago that Iowa might lead the nation in tornado numbers.  One Iowa town not far from my area, Oelwein, got hit pretty bad many decades ago.
Here in Wisconsin, although we're a neighboring state, we're mostly near the end of the cyclonic system that regularly hits Iowa and Kansas, so we're not often affected badly by twisters. One small town sixty miles south of here, Barneveld, was devasated by one about thirty years ago, but that was a pretty rare event for our state.
In fact I've lived in the area my whole life, and there's only been one small tornado that ever hit my home town of La Crosse, Wisconsin. That was about ten years ago, and it only did relatively minor damage with no lives losts.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 12:41:57 pm by goatprairie »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
A report I saw on tv said the tornados were unexpected.   So much for early warning systems and modern technology. 

Lucky that there were only survivable injuries and no one died.

I'm in central Il and this storm system passed through my area..there were possible tornado warnings all afternoon here...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
I came home just before the storm hit. You could see the wall cloud and the green foam sky where the hail was, and behind it was what looked almost like a white dust storm/cloud looking thing where the rotation was.

It got real freaky for a minute or so when the hail hit and the wind peaked out. Nearly went downstairs but it was over before I could get there. Other side of town had lots of trees down.
The Republic is lost.

Online mountaineer

I understand a tornado wiped out a factory in Pella.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
I understand a tornado wiped out a factory in Pella.

The Vermeer factory, yes. There were apparently two tornados on the ground there.
The Republic is lost.

Offline thackney

I remember reading years ago that Iowa might lead the nation in tornado numbers.

Not in total number per year.

For other measurements, deaths, per square mile, etc, see:

http://www.tornadoproject.com/alltorns/topten2.htm

Iowa doesn't make the top 3 in any.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
I have to agree, we don't get tornados like we used to when I was a kid.
The Republic is lost.

Offline goatprairie

Not in total number per year.

For other measurements, deaths, per square mile, etc, see:

http://www.tornadoproject.com/alltorns/topten2.htm

Iowa doesn't make the top 3 in any.
Thank you. I heard this about Iowa many decades ago, and I can't remember the source. 

Offline goatprairie

Just read a story concerning the recent spate of tornadoes in Iowa. An Iowan meteorologist said at  one point Iowa ranked fourth in the country as far as numbers of tornadoes annually.  They can have their ranking.