Author Topic: Tariff War Casualty? America’s Largest Car Exporter Shifts Some Production to China  (Read 2042 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
President Trump’s plan to save American jobs by putting tariffs on foreign imports may do the opposite. Retaliatory tariffs imposed by China have BMW hiking prices in China. Also, BMW, in conjunction with China’s Brilliance, will build X3 SUVs in China. Until now, the X3 has been exclusively made in Spartanburg, SC, the world’s largest BMW factory....

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/273171-tariff-war-casualty-americas-largest-car-exporter-shifts-some-production-to-china

Offline ABX

BMW is America's largest exporter of autos. Tariffs are hitting them two ways, increased cost of parts imported to assemble here and retaliatory tariffs for all exports.

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline kevindavis007

Who cares, they are not an America company.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline ABX

Besides the ten thousand employees at the Spartanburg plant or the fourth thousand or so employees at BMW dealerships and support offices in the US.

Offline kevindavis007

Besides the ten thousand employees at the Spartanburg plant or the fourth thousand or so employees at BMW dealerships and support offices in the US.

Besides that, they are not an American company.  Despite the Americans they employed.

Offline ABX

Besides that, they are not an American company.  Despite the Americans they employed.

Most "American companies" aren't. And I'm not even talking about companies like Chrysler which is owned by Fiat.
Most major US companies are public companies traded on the open market so they are in essence owned by world-wide investors and holdings.

I guess some could make the argument for the sake of MAGA, we can nationalize all of them and ban foreign investment completely. Heck, just have the US government own everything. Private business in general is too risky, someone may lose a job or the business may make the wrong decision. Just nationalize it all. MAGA
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 06:47:34 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline kevindavis007

Most "American companies" aren't. And I'm not even talking about companies like Chrysler which is owned by Fiat.
Most major US companies are public companies traded on the open market so they are in essence owned by world-wide investors and holdings.

I guess some could make the argument for the sake of MAGA, we can nationalize all of them and ban foreign investment completely. Heck, just have the US government own everything. Private business in general is too risky, someone may lose a job or the business may make the wrong decision. Just nationalize it all. MAGA

I know to hell with the free market.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
BMW's American roots are as deep as a Florida palm tree.  Good riddance.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
BMW is America's largest exporter of autos. Tariffs are hitting them two ways, increased cost of parts imported to assemble here and retaliatory tariffs for all exports.
Ja, aber mein BMW SAV comes from Leipzig, formerly East Germany and one or their bigger sites.

BMW has and continues to site their facilities for many reasons. and did so long before this recent phase of negotiations with America.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline kevindavis007

BMW's American roots are as deep as a Florida palm tree.  Good riddance.

and who cares about your fellow Americans who work for BMW. Right?

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

and who cares about your fellow Americans who work for BMW. Right?

They will be fine.  You faux concern is touching.

Offline kevindavis007

They will be fine.  You faux concern is touching.

So Americans should only be working for American companies and I take it you want no foreign companies in America right?

Online Wingnut

So Americans should only be working for American companies and I take it you want no foreign companies in America right?

Answer the question about your faux outrage.   Do not ask me a question designed to deflect.

Offline montanajoe

000hehehehe  Yep....Trump Conservatism... :shrug:

Offline kevindavis007

Answer the question about your faux outrage.   Do not ask me a question designed to deflect.

Just answer the damn question.

Online Wingnut

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Sumthin' tells me that BMW would have eventually shifted at least some production to China, tariffs or no tariffs...

Online Wingnut

Sumthin' tells me that BMW would have eventually shifted at least some production to China, tariffs or no tariffs...

The people who run Bavarian Motor Werks are shifty bastards.