Author Topic: But First, Infrastructure: Creating the Conditions for Artificial Intelligence to Thrive in the Pen  (Read 444 times)

rangerrebew

But First, Infrastructure: Creating the Conditions for Artificial Intelligence to Thrive in the Pentagon
Richard Kuzma
July 13, 2018

Artificial intelligence isn’t sexy. I would know. In 2017, I led data creation and quality control for xView, one of the largest open-source overhead satellite imagery datasets in the world. I spent hours each day squinting at satellite imagery, looking over thousands of objects and trying to distinguish minute pixelated differences between a bulldozer and a tractor.

Data is the lifeblood of AI, and a crucial part of the infrastructure that will need to undergird these new technologies as the U.S. military adopts them. Right now, however, the defense community is focusing too much on how AI could fundamentally change warfighting and not enough on the less sexy — but much more important — infrastructural, organizational, and cultural changes that will need to be put in place before AI can have this effect.

https://warontherocks.com/2018/07/but-first-infrastructure-creating-the-conditions-for-artificial-intelligence-to-thrive-in-the-pentagon/