Author Topic: Archaeologists Find Pre-Clovis Projectile Points in Texas  (Read 572 times)

rangerrebew

Archaeologists Find Pre-Clovis Projectile Points in Texas
Jul 17, 2018 by News Staff / Source

At the Gault archaeological site in central Texas, archaeologists have unearthed a projectile point technology never previously seen in North America, which they date to be 16,000-20,000 years old. The findings, published in the journal Science Advances, suggest humans occupied the North American continent prior to Clovis — considered the first culture to use projectile points to hunt on the continent, and dated to around 11,000 years ago.

For decades, scientists believed the Western Hemisphere was settled by humans roughly 13,500 years ago, a theory based largely upon the widespread distribution of Clovis artifacts dated to that time.

http://www.sci-news.com/archaeology/pre-clovis-projectile-points-gault-site-texas-06208.html

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Archaeologists Find Pre-Clovis Projectile Points in Texas
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 06:40:29 pm »
When I was an undergrad, I had to take some sort of social science (to go with the geology, chemistry, physics, and biology), so I took courses in Archaeology which would satisfy both that requirement and my own interests. In the North American Archaeology course, my professor (a 'heretic' by 1970s standards) claimed it was quite likely that humans had been migrating to the Americas for closer to 32,000 years than the standard 'Clovis is first" dogma would allow. I found that fascinating, as my grandfather had found a very large stone axe (Which was borrowed for study at the Smithsonian, and disappeared) while excavating footings for an air warden/spotter tower in Southern Maryland along the river. The area was known to the locals for artifacts from the Archaic and Woodland eras, and possibly earlier, and would have been high ground, less than a mile inland from the rivers during the ice age, before the sea level rose during the thaw and formed the drowned river valley estuaries of the Lower Potomac, Chesapeake Bay, James, and Rappahannock Rivers, to name a few. Earlier migrations may have fanned out across North America, but certainly, some migrated South into Central and South America.

More and more, evidence is emerging to prove his long ago speculations correct.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis