Author Topic: Watch USS Recine Get Pummeled To Death During RIMPAC 2018 Sinking Exercise  (Read 443 times)

rangerrebew

Watch USS Recine Get Pummeled To Death During RIMPAC 2018 Sinking Exercise
RIMPAC executes its first land-based anti-ship missile barrage in a big way.
By Tyler RogowayJuly 16, 2018

Tyler Rogoway

The Navy's biennial Rim Of The Pacific (RIMPAC) exercise is well underway and the Navy just posted a video of a sinking exercise (SINKEX) involving the retired Newport class Landing Ship-Tank amphibious ship USS Recine. The 5,100-ton displacement vessel was decommissioned 25 years ago but finally met its end on July 12, 2018, at the hands of a flurry of friendly missiles and torpedoes.

U.S. Navy Sub To Fire Harpoon Anti-Ship Missile Years After They Left The ForceBy Tyler Rogoway Posted in The War Zone
This Retired Perry Class Frigate Just Won’t Sink After Being Severely Pummeled During RIMPAC ‘16By Tyler Rogoway Posted in The War Zone

Multiple types of weapons were fired at the ship during the highly anticipated drill, which included land-based attackers for the very first time, and in a big way. A variant of the U.S. Navy's recently selected Naval Strike Missile was launched by the U.S. Army—which is also looking to acquire the weapon—from a palletized truck-mounted canister. It flew 63 miles to impact the target successfully.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/22184/watch-uss-recine-get-pummeled-to-death-during-rimpac-2018-sinking-exercise

Offline Suppressed

The most interesting to me is the  UGM-84 shot, along with the data link tests.  I'd love to know whether the Harpoon might come back if we can get our datalinks working to allow OTH shots.

That ol' Mk48 sure is impressive, though!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn