Author Topic: CH-47 Evacuates Climber and Six Rescuers with Impressive Steep-Slope Pinnacle Landing  (Read 1096 times)

Offline endicom

The Aviationist
Tom Demerly
July 15, 2018

U.S. National Guard Helicopter in Dramatic Mountain-Top Rescue
For the third time in four weeks a U.S. military aircraft has participated in the rescue of a civilian in life-threatening circumstances. This time it was in the United States and the incident was a direct rescue of a 27-year old male victim from a dangerous, high altitude location on Oregon’s 11,249-foot Mt. Hood.

Two helicopters including an Oregon Air National Guard CH-47 Chinook heavy lift helicopter responded to an emergency 911 phone call from the mountain at approximately 14:30 LT on Friday, July 13, 2018. According to reports, one of the aircraft that initially responded was a single main rotor UH-60 Blackhawk. Because of the altitude of the rescue, well above 10,000 feet in thinner air where rotary wing aircraft can have difficulty maintaining lift, the larger twin-rotor CH-47D Chinook was used for the rescue.

The CH-47D belonging to the 168th Aviation Regiment, based in Pendelton, Oregon, performed a so-called “Pinnacle Landing” or “Pinnacle Maneuver” (often seen in theaters like Iraq or Afghanistan) making the rescue possible.

More.. https://theaviationist.com/2018/07/15/ch-47-evacuates-climber-and-six-rescuers-with-impressive-steep-slope-pinnacle-landing/

« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 11:46:16 pm by endicom »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
HOO'AH to Army Aviation..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline endicom

HOO'AH to Army Aviation..

Yep, this is dangerous work and that is not some specialized unit.

And I've experienced the downwash of Chinooks so I'll say it's no picnic on the ground, either.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Yep, this is dangerous work and that is not some specialized unit.

And I've experienced the downwash of Chinooks so I'll say it's no picnic on the ground, either.

Hubby was 1stSgt Army Chinook Co...2 tours in Iraq...he even re-enlisted hovering over Baghdad..lol

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 12:35:57 am by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline endicom

Hubby was 1stSgt Army Chinook Co...2 tours in Iraq...he even re-enlisted hovering over Baghdad..lol

WTH is that lavender pennant with a couple embracing?

@mystery-ak
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 12:44:55 am by endicom »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

WTH is that lavender pennant with a couple embracing?

@mystery-ak

I have no idea..I never noticed it before...I'll have to ask him..lol
Support the USO

Offline endicom

I have no idea..I never noticed it before...I'll have to ask him..lol

Uh-oh.  :nono:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Uh-oh.  :nono:

Just asked him...he has no idea..something a crew member pinned up there....or so he says... :silly:
Support the USO