Author Topic: New PC Sales Are On The Upswing For The First Time In 6 Years  (Read 1771 times)

Offline endicom

Hot Hardware
Paul Lilly
July 13, 2018

Perhaps in a parallel universe, tablets rule the day and traditional PCs are now extinct. Not in this universe, though. Both Gartner and International Data Corporation (IDC) tallied more than 62.1 million worldwide PC shipments in the second quarter of 2018. Where the two differ is in the precise growth rate—Gartner says PC shipments are up 1.4 percent year-over-year, marking the first quarter of annual growth since Q1 2012, and IDC pegs it at 2.7 percent.

The exact number doesn't matter, it's the fact that PC shipments are on the rise that is interesting, and encouraging, especially in light of consumers increasingly using their smartphones for tasks that were once the exclusive domain of a PC.

"PC shipment growth in the second quarter of 2018 was driven by demand in the business market, which was offset by declining shipments in the consumer segment...

More... https://hothardware.com/news/new-pc-sales-upswing-first-time-6-years

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: New PC Sales Are On The Upswing For The First Time In 6 Years
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 01:49:19 am »
This week, the computer that my daughter gave me, surplussed from her work, started crashing more and more. I built a replacement Today. I hadn't built myself a machine in a whole lotta years now.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 02:08:06 am »
This week, the computer that my daughter gave me, surplussed from her work, started crashing more and more. I built a replacement Today. I hadn't built myself a machine in a whole lotta years now.

All my machines are fairly new... I quit building white boxes. Wasn't worth doing. Nearly all my machines are HP business class, a few years old... and picked up for a song.  Most of them weren't even really 'broken' when I got em... Rub em off, reinstall, and voila.

Offline endicom

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 02:13:17 am »

I long ago gave up on building and on upgrading, other than for RAM. It's easier and usually cheaper to just buy something that works.

I anticipated a time when the average computer was all the average user would need and I think this is the time.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 11:47:36 am »

I long ago gave up on building and on upgrading, other than for RAM. It's easier and usually cheaper to just buy something that works.

I anticipated a time when the average computer was all the average user would need and I think this is the time.

I didn't need a case or any drives , so a build made better sense to me.