Author Topic: Slavery: What They Didn't Teach in My High School  (Read 804 times)

Offline endicom

Slavery: What They Didn't Teach in My High School
« on: July 12, 2018, 12:44:58 pm »
Townhall
Larry Elder
July 12, 2018

A man I have known since grade school changed his name, years ago, to an Arabic one. He told me he rejected Christianity as "the white man's religion that justified slavery." He argued Africans taken out of that continent were owed reparations. "From whom?" I asked.

Arab slavers took more Africans out of Africa and transported them to the Middle East and to South America than European slavers took out of Africa and brought to North America. Arab slavers began taking slaves out of Africa beginning in the ninth century -- centuries before the European slave trade -- and continued well after.

In "Prisons & Slavery," John Dewar Gleissner writes: "The Arabs' treatment of black Africans can aptly be termed an African Holocaust. Arabs killed more Africans in transit, especially when crossing the Sahara Desert, than Europeans and Americans, and over more centuries, both before and after the years of the Atlantic slave trade. Arab Muslims began extracting millions of black African slaves centuries before Christian nations did. Arab slave traders removed slaves from Africa for about 13 centuries, compared to three centuries of the Atlantic slave trade. African slaves transported by Arabs across the Sahara Desert died more often than slaves making the Middle Passage to the New World by ship. Slaves invariably died within five years if they worked in the Ottoman Empire's Sahara salt mines."

More... https://townhall.com/columnists/larryelder/2018/07/12/slavery-what-they-didnt-teach-in-my-high-school-n2499454

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Slavery: What They Didn't Teach in My High School
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 01:55:30 pm »
Slavery has been around for thousands of years, still is today in fact, and has involved many people. It is not and never has been limited only to black Africans.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 01:56:50 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 02:22:53 pm »
I think we had problems with the Barbary Coast pirates, pirates seized ships and sold Europeans into slavery:

Commercial ships from the United States of America were subject to pirate attacks. In 1783, the United States made peace with, and gained recognition from, the British monarchy. In 1784, the first American ship was seized by pirates from Morocco. By late 1793, a dozen American ships had been captured, goods stripped and everyone enslaved. After some serious debate, the US created the United States Navy in March 1794.[5]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_on_the_Barbary_Coast

Poles, Russians, Croats, etc. are Slavs. I thought that term comes from "slaves" in some historic context.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 02:26:00 pm »
Possibly the most recognizable European name we may know of, that was seized by Pirates and made a slave was St. Vincent de Paul.  You know, there are those thrift stores called "Society of St. Vincent de Paul", Churches, even DePaul university in Illinois.  Read his biography, and one sees, he was on a ship seized and sold into slavery. By some fortune, none of his masters were very mean and he managed to find his freedom. I think one of his masters gave him his freedom but I'm not positive.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 02:53:09 pm »
There are a number of books by The Lost Boys Of Sudan , I'm no expert in it. I read one of the books. From what I can tell, it was mainly the Northern Sudanese (Black and Muslims) selling a lot of the Christian Sudanese into slavery.  There are quite a number of Sudanese who fled that country. We have some in town and they send their children to Christian schools.  Although, I know them, I've never quite been familiar enough, to ask them about what happened over there.