Author Topic: Paul Manafort is being treated like a 'VIP' in prison, says special counsel  (Read 778 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Paul Manafort is being treated like a 'VIP' in prison, says special counsel
by Kelly Cohen
 | July 11, 2018 01:52 PM

Former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort being treated like a “VIP” in prison, prosecutors for special counsel Robert Mueller said in a Wednesday court filing.

Lawyers for Manafort filed a motion last week asking for his trial to be delayed from July 25 to the fall. They also asked the trial be moved from Alexandria, Va., a Washington suburb, to Roanoke, Va. Manafort's lawyers argued that Manafort has not had adequate time to prepare for the trial while he is incarcerated in Northern Neck Regional Jail because of the distance from his lawyers and his limited electronic and phone access.

In the Eastern District of Virginia, the 69-year-old is facing charges of bank and tax fraud centering on his work as a lobbyist in Ukraine. He has pleaded not guilty.

But Mueller’s team of prosecutors on Wednesday cite a recorded prison call where Manafort says he can visit with his lawyers “every day,” has “gone through all the discovery now” and has “all my files I would like at home.”

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/paul-manafort-is-being-treated-like-a-vip-in-prison-says-special-counsel
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
However, Manafort withdrew his request Tuesday to transfer to a detention center in Alexandria. The judge overseeing the Alexandria case, T.S. Ellis III, declined the withdrawal request, and ordered Manafort be moved to behind bars in Alexandria immediately.

So, he gets his lawyers to whine about the hardships of the 100 mi distance, then withdraws the motion when it's granted?  Not surprising Ellis denied the withdrawal.  I'm sure he's not fond of games in his courtroom.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Slide Rule

Being treated like a VIP in prison?

So that is what solitary confinement is.

:)
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline edpc

! No longer available

He's rollin' VIP like Federline in the Super Bowl ad.

Offline Frank Cannon

Being treated like a VIP in prison?

So that is what solitary confinement is.

:)

Yeah. More circle jerk from Mueller stooges, easily some of the most corrupt and stupid people in America.

It would be inappropriate for me to wish Mueller a painful form of some debilitating disease......but I'll do it anyway.

Offline skeeter

Yeah. More circle jerk from Mueller stooges, easily some of the most corrupt and stupid people in America.

It would be inappropriate for me to wish Mueller a painful form of some debilitating disease......but I'll do it anyway.

The Mueller team must be worried about the optics of their sticking a guy in solitary confinement with no bail over a 13 year old tax rap.

Offline edpc

The Mueller team must be worried about the optics of their sticking a guy in solitary confinement with no bail over a 13 year old tax rap.

This is a painfully ignorant sentence.  First of all, there are no optics, since we don't have images of him inside the facility.  Also, he's indicted on multiple charges that span many years, up to and including 2018.

The reason this motion was filed is because the defense complained the conditions and distance of his detainment were a burden on defense preparations.  They filed for an extension, based on that.  The monitored communication showed how much access he actually had with counsel and that he had already fully reviewed discovery.  Things are so 'bad' at this facility, he withdrew his motion to be moved, after it was granted.  Judge Ellis said too damn bad.  You're moving, anyway.

It shows Manafort is a liar.  What a shock.