Author Topic: A long-duration heat wave is beginning in Washington when it will frequently feel as if it’s 100  (Read 14738 times)

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

The Washington Post
By Jason Samenow
June 28

How do nine straight days of 90s with suffocating humidity levels sound?

Starting as soon as Thursday and continuing well into next week, high temperatures are forecast to hit at least 90 in Washington. The hottest stretch is predicted between Saturday and Tuesday, when maximum temperatures in the mid-90s or higher are likely.

But temperatures will tell only part of the story. Especially Sunday through next week, humidity levels become oppressive, adding 5 to 10 degrees to how hot it feels. The combination of heat and humidity will produce heat index values near and above 100 for days on end.

(more)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/06/28/a-long-duration-heat-wave-is-beginning-in-washington-when-it-will-frequently-feel-like-100/
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Pretty warm today, now 68 F at 8:15 pm

Under one mile from the ocean in the OC
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Applewood

Looks lIke a lot of us are going to be under this heat wave.   In my corner of the world, the weather soothsayers originally predicted 90+ degrees till Monday. Now they are saying all next week.  I'm really ticked because I have heart problems.  All last winter I stayed home because being out in the cold for more than a minute would have killed me.  So I was looking forward  to more moderate temperatures in spring and summer. But now it's too hot for me to go out.

Anyway -- everyone under this heat wave:  stay safe.  Even if you don't have health issues, this heat can kill you if you aren't careful.  Stay well hydrated.  Dont overdo.  . 

Offline Frank Cannon

BREAKING!!!!!

HOT IN SUMMER!!!!

News at 11

Offline Applewood

BREAKING!!!!!

HOT IN SUMMER!!!!

News at 11

And what coronary ICU should I visit you in? 

Offline Frank Cannon

And what coronary ICU should I visit you in?

LOL. How old do you think I am?

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Looks lIke a lot of us are going to be under this heat wave.   In my corner of the world, the weather soothsayers originally predicted 90+ degrees till Monday. Now they are saying all next week.  I'm really ticked because I have heart problems.  All last winter I stayed home because being out in the cold for more than a minute would have killed me.  So I was looking forward  to more moderate temperatures in spring and summer. But now it's too hot for me to go out.

Anyway -- everyone under this heat wave:  stay safe.  Even if you don't have health issues, this heat can kill you if you aren't careful.  Stay well hydrated.  Dont overdo.  . 

Thanks Apple, I also try to keep it within reason being outside. Today helping the son with the lawnmower repair was about enough for me. Had me a cool drink to help me along.  As long as that Air inside keeps pumping it is good so far. Take care of yourself.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 05:53:51 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Like pretty much most of the year.   

Well, except this one. 
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Applewood

No idea.  But a heart attack can strike you at any age -- especially if you undertake strenuous activity in extreme heat or cold.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
No idea.  But a heart attack can strike you at any age -- especially if you undertake strenuous activity in extreme heat or cold.

You can die at any time for any reason. My uncle collapsed and died in mid April in an air conditioned office at his desk.

Life is short.

Silver Pines

@Frank Cannon

I don’t know, how old are you?  My father-in-law had a triple bypass in his forties.

Offline Applewood

Thanks Apple, I also try to keep it within reason being outside. Today helping the son with the lawnmower repair was about enough for me. Had me a cool drink to help me along.  As long as that Air inside keeps pumping it is good so far. Take care of yourself.

Thank you.  Stay cool, my friend.   :cool:

Silver Pines

I hate those damn summer weather maps, I hate the meteorologists’ heat index crap, and I hate this garbage season.

Our local weather guy—-“Gonna be a great weekend to go to the beach!”  Yeah, a great weekend to lie on hot sand in the middle of a crowd with a burning sun baking me, sweating myself into a puddle, and “cooling off” in water the temperature of lukewarm soup.  Idiot.

/bitter rant off

• Technical
@Frank Cannon

I don’t know, how old are you?  My father-in-law had a triple bypass in his forties.

:shrug:

Listen to your doctor, enjoy life, and know that one day you will die.

Silver Pines

:shrug:

Listen to your doctor, enjoy life, and know that one day you will die.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Yep, nobody’s guaranteed another minute.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I live in an area that has lots of illegal worker activity who do just about all manual labor. Every morning the local gas station is flooded with work trucks and vehicles of all kinds so they can buy their water and snacks for the day.

I see them stuffed in vans and pickup trucks, bristling with ladders and tools. Painters, Roofers, Landscapers, Laborers. I actually feel a little sorry for those guys knowing that they are going to be doing hard labor under the sun all day. I don't see how they do it, but they do it somehow. I would pass out in a couple of hours if I tried to do what they do every day all day long.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

• Technical
I live in an area that has lots of illegal worker activity who do just about all manual labor. Every morning the local gas station is flooded with work trucks and vehicles of all kinds so they can buy their water and snacks for the day.

I see them stuffed in vans and pickup trucks, bristling with ladders and tools. Painters, Roofers, Landscapers, Laborers. I actually feel a little sorry for those guys knowing that they are going to be doing hard labor under the sun all day. I don't see how they do it, but they do it somehow. I would pass out in a couple of hours if I tried to do what they do every day all day long.

Roofing especially. That one always blew my mind how anyone could do that during the middle of summer. I know it's one of the hardest jobs to do.

Online Right_in_Virginia

I hate those damn summer weather maps, I hate the meteorologists’ heat index crap, and I hate this garbage season.

Our local weather guy—-“Gonna be a great weekend to go to the beach!”  Yeah, a great weekend to lie on hot sand in the middle of a crowd with a burning sun baking me, sweating myself into a puddle, and “cooling off” in water the temperature of lukewarm soup.  Idiot.

/bitter rant off 

I hate this town in the summer ... won't see another good hair day until Halloween.   :laugh:

@CatherineofAragon
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 12:32:50 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Night Hides Not

A couple of days ago, at least two people on my shift had to take a break in the "cool zone", both were much younger than me. It will reach 100 in the warehouse today, so I'll drop a few pounds (which I'll gain back after a trip to Smoothie King).

I amazed one coworker by telling him my water jug works like a sun dial...I can tell the time based on how much water I've consumed during a shift. When he asked me, I said "it's about 2:30", he checked his watch and it was 2:25.

Then I told him the rest of the story: there's a time stamp on the shipping labels we print out... :rolling:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Sounds like summer.   :shrug:

Offline goatprairie

I remember watching an episode of Mike Rowe's "Dirty Jobs" a few years back. One of the episodes featured him doing roofing in Las Vegas.   I don't know the exact month, but it looked pretty hot.
As in many of the episodes of that show, it looked like most of the workers were Hispanic.  Whenever he appeared to do a hard job in hot, sticky weather, it seemed most of the workers working with him looked Hispanic. Mexican or around those parts.
Also when watching the "Flipping Vegas" with Scott and Amy, almost all the workers doing the hard, physical labor were Hispanic i.e. Mexican.  Many times Scott would converse with the head of the work gang with a little Spanish mixed in.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I remember watching an episode of Mike Rowe's "Dirty Jobs" a few years back. One of the episodes featured him doing roofing in Las Vegas.   I don't know the exact month, but it looked pretty hot.
As in many of the episodes of that show, it looked like most of the workers were Hispanic.  Whenever he appeared to do a hard job in hot, sticky weather, it seemed most of the workers working with him looked Hispanic. Mexican or around those parts.
Also when watching the "Flipping Vegas" with Scott and Amy, almost all the workers doing the hard, physical labor were Hispanic i.e. Mexican.  Many times Scott would converse with the head of the work gang with a little Spanish mixed in.

We still have a lot of Anglo crews around here.  They start at 6am and leave at 3pm.  Too brutal after that.

Offline Frank Cannon

@Frank Cannon

Was he a food tester at McDonald's.

Offline thackney

Extremely normal summer for most of the gulf coast.  Except for the only lasting 9 days part.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Roofing especially. That one always blew my mind how anyone could do that during the middle of summer. I know it's one of the hardest jobs to do.

Take the same heat and humidity and require them to work in a refinery or other petroleum/chem plant.  Steel toe boots, long sleeves with heavy material of Fire Resistant Clothing.  Make it even worse for the welder in heavy gloves with leather sleeves to the shoulders and welding hood.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer