Author Topic: U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities Over a 13-Year Period; Breeds of Dogs Involved, Age Groups and Other Factor  (Read 913 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Excerpt:

U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities Over a 13-Year Period; Breeds of Dogs Involved, Age Groups and Other Factors (2005 to 2017)

Austin, TX, May 03, 2018 --(PR.com)-- DogsBite.org, a national dog bite victims' group dedicated to reducing serious dog attacks, releases a multi-year U.S. dog bite fatality report. From January 1, 2005 to December 31, 2017, canines killed at least 433 people. The majority of these victims were ages 10 and older. The 9-page report examines over 20 factors involved in fatal dog maulings and key changing metrics since a government body last examined this issue in 2000.

The 13-year report shows that pit bulls contributed to 66% of all dog bite fatalities. Within this period, deaths attributed to pit bulls rose from 58% (2005 to 2010) to 71% (2011 to 2017), a 22% rise. Rottweilers, the second most lethal dog breed, inflicted 10% of attacks resulting in death. This is a decrease from an earlier period (2005 to 2010) when rottweilers inflicted 14% of the total recorded deaths. Together, these two dog breeds accounted for 76% of all deaths.

Read more at: https://blog.dogsbite.org/2018/05/us-dog-bite-fatalities-over-13-year-period.html

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Tom, are you experiencing the subject lines cutting off characters? It's really annoying.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I'm surprised to see deaths by Labradors.

Well my next favorite breed, the Newfoundland, was not on the list.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I'm surprised to see deaths by Labradors.

I've met some really aggressive Labs.  I suspect it may be an overbreeding problem as they've become so popular.

I would like to know how these types of dogs are represented in the population.  Like, if pits are 80% of the dog population, then 66% average wouldn't be that bad.  I guess I'll have to read the report.

Offline endicom

How many people own those baby bears?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

How many people own those baby bears?

My son when he was small would climb up onto our newfie and sleep on top of him.