Author Topic: Supreme Court sides with Texas in redistricting map dispute  (Read 809 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

A sharply divided Supreme Court on Monday kept in place most of a controversial Texas redistricting plan enacted by the GOP-led legislature, despite lawsuits from civil rights groups claiming it was discriminatory.

The case involved claims of racial gerrymandering -- that election maps had the effect of harming the voting rights of black and Hispanic voters.

The 5-4 decision kept in place all but one challenged district, striking down the conclusions of a special three-judge federal panel that had ruled against the state.

That judicial panel, though, initially had approved the voting maps on an interim basis, boundaries that were subsequently enacted by the state legislature. That, said Justice Samuel Alito for the conservative majority, showed a presumption of good faith.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/06/25/supreme-court-sides-with-texas-in-redistricting-map-dispute.html
One vote away from destroying this country.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Supreme Court sides with Texas in redistricting map dispute
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 06:20:12 pm »
One vote away from destroying this country.

It has been that way for years.  One vote away.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 06:31:47 pm »
The Supreme Court did find one state district, HD90, was an "impermissible racial gerrymander."

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 06:32:27 pm by Elderberry »

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 06:59:53 pm »
The Supreme Court did find one state district, HD90, was an "impermissible racial gerrymander."

So how do find ONLY one district has to change?

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/06/25/us-supreme-ruling-court-texas-redistricting-case/

The Supreme Court’s ruling, which keeps all but one of the state's districts in place through the end of the decade, is a major blow to the maps’ challengers — civil rights groups, voters of color and Democratic lawmakers — who have been fighting the Republican-controlled Legislature’s adjustment of district boundaries since 2011.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer