Author Topic: In Texas, Trump's steel tariff stirs uncertainty and concern  (Read 3426 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Joel Johnson examines the shipping labels on 35-ton coils of American-made steel that will be unspooled, bent and welded into rounded sections of pipe.
One's from Nucor, a mill in Arkansas. Another's from Steel Dynamics in Mississippi. But much harder to spot in the sprawling factory yard is the imported steel that's put his company in the crosshairs of President Donald Trump's bitter trade dispute with America's allies and adversaries.
Trump says his tariffs on steel, aluminum and other goods will put U.S. companies and workers on stronger footing by winding back the clock of globalization with protectionist trade policies. But the steel tariff — essentially a 25 percent tax — may backfire on the very people the president is aiming to help. The Commerce Department has been deluged with requests from 20,000 companies seeking exemptions.....

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/texas-trumps-steel-tariff-stirs-uncertainty-concern-56133181

Offline thackney

Re: In Texas, Trump's steel tariff stirs uncertainty and concern
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 04:04:22 pm »
Steel Pipe Company CEOs Push for Waivers From Trump's Tariff
https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2018-06-25/in-texas-trumps-steel-tariff-stirs-uncertainty-and-concern

...Without a waiver, Johnson said, Borusan faces levies of up to $30 million a year — a staggering sum for a business with plans to expand.

"We don't have any proof we're being heard," Johnson said.

Eighty miles southwest, in Bay City, global steel giant Tenaris also is seeking an exemption from the tariffs. The company churns out steel pipe in a $1.8 billion state-of-the-art facility that began operating late last year, using solid rods of steel called billets that are made in its mills in Mexico, Romania, Italy and Argentina. Of the four, only Argentina has agreed to limit steel shipments to the U.S. in exchange for being spared the tariff....

...Pipe mills are numerous in Texas, which leads the country in oil and natural gas production. Factories that use imported steel typically do so when they can't get the exact type or quantity they need from U.S. producers. Many of them are among the thousands of companies that have filed exclusion requests to avoid being hit by the steel tariff....

...Economists Joseph Francois and Laura Baughman have estimated the Trump steel tariff and separate 10 percent tariff on imported aluminum will trigger the loss of more than 40,000 jobs....
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 04:05:41 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 06:00:45 pm »
https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2018-06-25/in-texas-trumps-steel-tariff-stirs-uncertainty-and-concern

...Without a waiver, Johnson said, Borusan faces levies of up to $30 million a year — a staggering sum for a business with plans to expand.

Eighty miles southwest, in Bay City, global steel giant Tenaris also is seeking an exemption from the tariffs. The company churns out steel pipe in a $1.8 billion state-of-the-art facility that began operating late last year, using solid rods of steel called billets that are made in its mills in Mexico, Romania, Italy and Argentina. Of the four, only Argentina has agreed to limit steel shipments to the U.S. in exchange for being spared the tariff....

...Pipe mills are numerous in Texas, which leads the country in oil and natural gas production. Factories that use imported steel typically do so when they can't get the exact type or quantity they need from U.S. producers. Many of them are among the thousands of companies that have filed exclusion requests to avoid being hit by the steel tariff....

...Economists Joseph Francois and Laura Baughman have estimated the Trump steel tariff and separate 10 percent tariff on imported aluminum will trigger the loss of more than 40,000 jobs....
These two have been trumpeting Imports into the US and free trade for years.  They have a high-powered firm dedicated to that and represents retailers which want cheap stuff from overseas to sell.

https://www.importswork.com/

Not exactly un-biased.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 06:04:27 pm »

We have an old steel pipe company that was supposed to start back up with all this, only to find out they didn't have any customers. It seems that scrap steel doesn't have the same tolerances that are required in some of the new pipleline standards. The US Steel industry has long moved to repurposing scrap steel which is fine for things like old truck frames and buildings, but not so much for high pressure pipes. Yes, there are many plants here that can do that, but it is revealing some major gaps in all this, especially when the government tries to play chess with all of them.

I remember there was a big deal when Keystone restarted. The president ordered they use US Steel pipes, but those didn't meet their specifications so they had to get a waiver and use Canadian made pipe.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 06:06:33 pm »
These two have been trumpeting Imports into the US and free trade for years.  They have a high-powered firm dedicated to that and represents retailers which want cheap stuff from overseas to sell.

https://www.importswork.com/

Not exactly un-biased.

Bingo.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 07:46:28 pm »
Bango.

Bongo

! No longer available

Yup.... let's subsidize uncompetitive US companies afraid to innovate...

So bongo, bongo, bongo, I don't wanna leave the union, oh no no no no no
   Bingo, bangle, bungle, I'm so happy in the past, I refuse to go
   Don't want no penthouse, bathtub, streetcars, taxis, noise in my ear
   So, no matter how they coax me, I'll stay right here

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 08:13:10 pm »
Bongo

! No longer available

Yup.... let's subsidize uncompetitive US companies afraid to innovate...

So bongo, bongo, bongo, I don't wanna leave the union, oh no no no no no
   Bingo, bangle, bungle, I'm so happy in the past, I refuse to go
   Don't want no penthouse, bathtub, streetcars, taxis, noise in my ear
   So, no matter how they coax me, I'll stay right here
So you believe that Americans are subsidizing uncompetitive US companies by allowing the EU to slap 20% tariffs on US imports into the EU?

Please explain that as an economist.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 09:46:02 pm »
Bongo

You should have just stopped there. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 02:02:36 am »
Related topic
Largest US nail manufacturer 'on the brink of extinction' because of the steel tariffs
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,322028.msg1725361.html#msg1725361

We find out that this is a Mexican company out of Monterey, Mexico and a huge conglomerate.

We Americans are being scammed by all of this 'impact on steel tariffs'

@Suppressed - you have yet to reply to my earlier post here.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 02:03:48 am by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline thackney

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 11:57:30 am »
Related topic
Largest US nail manufacturer 'on the brink of extinction' because of the steel tariffs
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,322028.msg1725361.html#msg1725361

We find out that this is a Mexican company out of Monterey, Mexico and a huge conglomerate.

We Americans are being scammed by all of this 'impact on steel tariffs'

@Suppressed - you have yet to reply to my earlier post here.

Tell that to the Americans that were working in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, but are now laid off.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 02:35:38 pm »
Interesting, that this is coming up now.
Yesterday, I received a request for quote from a large reciprocating compressor company to make 5 sizes (for 5 stages) of pressure packing cases.
The material is 17-4 stainless steel.
The stipulation on the quote is that it must be all US sourced and manufactured.
We're figuring it must be a government contract they have, maybe military or a nuclear facility.
One of the largest steel supplier for our industry, Earle M. Jorgensen, told us they couldn't do it.
Others can, but for a lot of money and a longer lead time.
We are still shopping around.
I'll let you all know how it turns out.

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 01:29:22 am »
Tell that to the Americans that were working in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, but are now laid off.
The scam is the headline which insinuates this is an American company.  I hate 'news' sources that are not honest with the headlines.

And who knows, maybe there will be more than 60 people hired by the US steel manufacturers.

I just pulled up one, US Steel, and it is hiring 800 this year.  https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/11/us-steel-planning-to-add-more-than-800-jobs-this-year.html

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 11:14:32 am »
The scam is the headline which insinuates this is an American company.  I hate 'news' sources that are not honest with the headlines.

And who knows, maybe there will be more than 60 people hired by the US steel manufacturers.

I just pulled up one, US Steel, and it is hiring 800 this year.  https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/11/us-steel-planning-to-add-more-than-800-jobs-this-year.html

So you don't care if Americans lose their jobs if the company is not American owned?? What kind of logic is that?

As for US Steel. Of course they are going to open more plants. There is less competition and I'm sure they will charge higher prices.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline thackney

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2018, 12:12:43 pm »

Like you are insinuating this is the only company impacted negatively?

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2018, 04:22:39 pm »
I found out today that price of USA made 17-4 is about 40 to 50% higher, depending on size,  and takes about the same amount of time to get it to us.
Price is higher.
Lead time is the same.

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2018, 02:24:55 am »

So you don't care if Americans lose their jobs if the company is not American owned?? What kind of logic is that?

As for US Steel. Of course they are going to open more plants. There is less competition and I'm sure they will charge higher prices.
you are saying I said something I never said.

let's see, I'll make it simple for you: which do you prefer, a foreign company with a factory here in US or a US company with a factory here in US of same size and employees?

If you say 'it makes no difference' then you need to think hard about that answer.

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2018, 02:27:38 am »
Like you are insinuating this is the only company impacted negatively?
never said that.  i was referring to your statement that a certain company laid off people due to tariffs and I responded that other companies hired people due to tariffs.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2018, 12:08:51 pm »
you are saying I said something I never said.

let's see, I'll make it simple for you: which do you prefer, a foreign company with a factory here in US or a US company with a factory here in US of same size and employees?

If you say 'it makes no difference' then you need to think hard about that answer.

It makes no difference.

Offline thackney

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2018, 05:52:38 pm »
never said that.  i was referring to your statement that a certain company laid off people due to tariffs and I responded that other companies hired people due to tariffs.

You compared the losses of a single company to gains of an entire industry.

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2018, 11:21:18 pm »

It makes no difference.
Makes no difference whether a company is US or foreign owned?

So, the only conclusion remaining is that your brain has left you to say it

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2018, 11:22:55 pm »
You compared the losses of a single company to gains of an entire industry.
I never said that either.  Where is that coming from?

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2018, 11:31:14 pm »
Makes no difference whether a company is US or foreign owned?

So, the only conclusion remaining is that your brain has left you to say it

Why should it matter?

Offline thackney

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2018, 01:28:38 am »
I never said that either.  Where is that coming from?

...And who knows, maybe there will be more than 60 people hired by the US steel manufacturers....