Author Topic: Saudi Arabia's ban on women driving about to end  (Read 375 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Saudi Arabia's ban on women driving about to end
« on: June 23, 2018, 08:17:59 pm »
Saudi Arabia's ban on women driving about to end
BBC, Jun 23, 2018

Saudi women are to be allowed to drive from midnight local time (21:00 GMT) after a ban comes to an end.

The change was announced last September and Saudi Arabia issued the first licences to women earlier this month.

It was the only country left in the world where women could not drive and families had to hire private chauffeurs for female relatives.

However the move comes amid an intensified crackdown on activists who campaigned for the right to drive.

At least eight women's rights activists are being detained and could face trial in a counter-terrorism court and long prison sentences for their activism, human rights group Amnesty says.

More: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-44576795

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Saudi Arabia's ban on women driving about to end
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 10:05:44 pm »
And the slide begins.  Next thing they will let them own land and give them the vote.  History has shown us how well that works out.   America had the spirit and determination that matched the times and the land. Then the women got the vote, and everything went to hell.  The women got Prohibition put in. Drinking and gambling and whoring were declared unlawful. All those things which come natural to men became crimes.

It was a sad day for America.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."