Author Topic: Jeanette Epps doesn't know why NASA booted her from International Space Station flight  (Read 940 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle By Alex Stuckey June 22, 2018

Jeanette Epps still does not know why she was booted in January from this month's International Space Station flight, where she would have made history as the first black crew member.

But she thinks it was a decision made by someone at NASA, not their Russian partners, she told reporter Megan Gannon on Friday at the Tech Open Air Festival.

"I don't know where the decision came from and how it was made, in detail or at what level ... I seriously do not believe it was the Russians, partly because I had been through the training with them and I was able to develop good working relationships with everyone there," Epps said. "There were Russians, several of them, who defended me in the sense that its not safe to really remove someone from a crew that has trained together for years."

NASA has relied on Russia to launch its astronauts to the International Space Station, since the Space Shuttle program ended in 2011. Epps was slated to be on the Russian spacecraft, called the Soyuz, that rocketed to station earlier this month.

But in January, NASA abruptly announced that Epps was being booted from her June flight, replacing her with Serena Auñón-Chancellor, a Hispanic flight surgeon selected as an astronaut alongside Epps in 2009. Epps previously told the Houston Chronicle she did not have any medical or family issues that would have prevented her from flying.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/nation-world/space/article/Jeanette-Epps-doesn-t-know-why-NASA-booted-her-13018349.php

Online rustynail

Her demographic is passe.  Hispanics are the future to some.

Online mountaineer

... NASA did not give an explanation for the crew change. But Epps's brother blamed racism at the space agency.

“My sister Dr. Jeannette Epps has been fighting against oppressive racism and misogynist in NASA and now they are holding her back and allowing a Caucasian Astronaut to take her place!” Henry Epps wrote in a Facebook post Saturday. (The post has since been removed.) He linked to a MoveOn.org petition asking NASA to reinstate Epps.  ...
WashPost
 *****rollingeyes*****
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
WashPost
 *****rollingeyes*****

@mountaineer

Of course he said that. It is the standard knee-jerk reaction. The TRUTH is there is a better than even chance that her ONLY "qualification" was the color of her skin and some AA degrees she didn't earn.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Looks like years of relying on her color to take her as far as it could go came to an end.   
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."