Author Topic: Vote against the GOP this November - George F. Will  (Read 2603 times)

Offline skeeter

Re: Vote against the GOP this November - George F. Will
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2018, 04:58:27 pm »
There is no real need for the likes of Will, bow tie nd tortoise shell specs.

Better listen to Victor Davis Hanson, Newt, X Maryland Gov. Bob Ehrlich, Bill O"Reilly. Pat Buchanan, etc

In other words, folks making honest efforts to understand and explain the reality, f the Trump phenom, for better or worse.

If Yeb had won Will would be lecturing the congress about the president being the leader of the party who's agenda was mandated by the results of the last election.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2018, 04:59:09 pm »

I'll side with Ingraham.

What the hell does George Will want? The status quo ante where nothing good ever happens? Because that's his comfort zone?

Impeachment, apparently.

Online dfwgator

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2018, 05:00:38 pm »
@mystery-ak

Will's writing is valid.  One should download it into a Word document and read it with a cup of coffee/pastry - stay with the writing.  What he says needs to happen may happen - it is the way I see voting may happen in Nov. based on circumstances now.

It makes sense to somebody who voted for Hillary.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2018, 05:01:38 pm »
George Will needs a Gore Vidal to make him whole.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2018, 05:14:01 pm »
George Will needs a Gore Vidal to make him whole.
Please, there's still such a thing as the Eighth Amendment!

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2018, 09:07:14 pm »
The only way this piece makes any sense is to print it out, download it into the toilet and flush. Then shoot up heroin and take a vodka chaser.

I wish I'd written that.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2018, 09:22:01 pm »
I wish I'd written that.

@Frank Cannon has a unique type of wit.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2018, 09:47:38 pm »
@Frank Cannon has a unique type of wit.

Some say it is a type of nit.  Not me mind you.  But some.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2018, 11:02:03 pm »
OMFG George, how stupid do you think I am? Nothing is getting done in DC for one and only one reason - everytime something comes to the Senate, just enough RINO GOP senators peel off to get it defeated, with Mitch McConnell's tacits approval.

Tell McConnell et al to stop playing kabuki, an the problem goes away.

Go sell that turd to another pig farmer.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 11:02:35 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2018, 11:07:49 pm »
OMFG George, how stupid do you think I am? Nothing is getting done in DC for one and only one reason - everytime something comes to the Senate, just enough RINO GOP senators peel off to get it defeated, with Mitch McConnell's tacits approval.

Tell McConnell et al to stop playing kabuki, an the problem goes away.

Go sell that turd to another pig farmer.

Most Conservatives have not figured out yet that Democrats have taken over the Republican Party wholesale.  So either they accept Big Government Liberal Statism as Conservative, or they go put their efforts into something else to try and preserve what remains of liberty.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2018, 11:21:11 pm »
Most Conservatives have not figured out yet that Democrats have taken over the Republican Party wholesale.  So either they accept Big Government Liberal Statism as Conservative, or they go put their efforts into something else to try and preserve what remains of liberty.

And the irony is, George is fast ideological buds with all those playing the shell game and he's in deep denial, trying to reflexively blame Trump when Congress is the one that passes the laws. Which makes him part of the swampy cronyism, not the outsider critic he likes to prop himself up as.
The Republic is lost.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2018, 11:21:26 pm »
I hate to say it but nobody can say they weren't warned as far back as 2008 . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2018, 11:38:26 pm »
Actually,  I have been voting against the GOP since Bush 1 when it became apparent to me they were a "conservative" party in name only.

As always, I vote for the candidate that reflects my view of what a Conservative is or I don't vote for that officeholder I will not vote for the lesser of two evils... :shrug:

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2018, 12:38:43 am »
After what McConnell and the GOP leadership has done to grassroots Conservatism and the rules changes in the last two elections, notwithstanding their abysmal record of handing the Democrats victory after victory and funding their agenda - I will no longer vote for anyone in the Republican party.

I do not care if it is a clone of Reagan himself running. 

It is past time to put efforts into something not wholly corrupted, complicit with evil and statist, for something outside the poisonous cesspool of Mordor on the Potomac.

If elections themselves are not as rigged and corrupted as the rest of the machine running government and consequential events do not overtake life as we knew it.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2018, 03:03:02 am »
The Wall will only get funded with passage in the Senate of a bill for the President to sign.  We should have enough votes now. Pity.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2018, 03:37:02 pm »
Pity.

Indeed.  A Wall/Dreamers compromise should have been passed long ago.  The wall should be well on its way to being built.    The crime of this GOP Congress has been its inability to compromise - with itself. 

The stars align only briefly.  A GOP Congress and a GOP President is a transient occurence that we will be kicking ourselves for years that we did not take advantage of. 

**nononono* 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 03:40:06 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2018, 06:28:56 pm »
The stars align only briefly.  A GOP Congress and a GOP President is a transient occurrence [sic] that we will be kicking ourselves for years that we did not take advantage of. 
@Jazzhead
It's not as though Republicans haven't been there before, you know. And when they weren't anymore, that time, it wasn't long before they began wailing, oh, if only we could have another Republican Congress and Republican White House to get it right this time . . .

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2018, 07:47:03 pm »
It makes sense to somebody who voted for Hillary.
exactly. Or stated the intent to do so.

There exists for me, a certain type of "conservative." They like some of the aspects of "conservatism," but erhaps most they like to be accepted by family, associates, which label themselves "conservatives."

But woe to the awful outsider, never a real insiderof that group.

Goldwater, Reagan, Trump. Both broke into the GHW Bush insider game (Perot, Buchanan tried to), and they can't ever, ever even grasp  why it happened.

I'll call them "Affinity Conservatives;" e.g. they like being in this group.

Before admitting that they were wrong, they label the outsider's supporters wrong.

It continues with the likes of George Will was Never elected to anything.

Spend more time with real conservative thinkers like Victor Davis Hanson. Newt Gingrich. Mark Levin, Pat Buchanan.

These and others know that Trump did NOT create the conditions which led to his election.

They make honest intellectual attempts to understand explain it.

Besides calling Trump's supporters too white, too uneducated, Nazis and worse.

Trump has governed more conservatively than almst anybody expected. More than anyone since Reagan. Real honest conservatives ught to be able to see it, even if their pride prevents them from saying so.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2018, 11:53:28 pm »
George Will...?
He's still alive...?
Who knew?

Online dfwgator

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2018, 11:55:41 pm »
George Will...?
He's still alive...?
Who knew?

Makes me happy that his Orioles suck so much this year.

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2018, 06:48:36 pm »
And to those who say, “But the judges, the judges!” the answer is: Article III institutions are not more important than those of Articles I and II combined.

This is where George misses the mark.  Today's progressive judges behave like dictators.  No matter how flawed the GOP candidate, there aren't enough reasons to enable a judicial tyranny by voting Democrat.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2018, 07:23:59 pm »
This is where George misses the mark.  Today's progressive judges behave like dictators.
I think what he was trying to say was, there's a reason why the judiciary falls under the third article of the Constitution, even as the legislative branch is the first article of the Constitution and the executive the second.

And while I don't doubt for one moment that there are judges who do act as you say, I often wonder along parallel lines whether "judicial tyranny" is often deployed not because of actual "judicial tyranny" but, rather, because a particular court handed down a ruling that aligns to the Constitution but contravenes what the mob wishes. (I'm sure I don't need to remind you that Republicans are as capable of nominating and approving actual judicial tyrants as are Democrats.)

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2018, 07:38:35 pm »
The House, today, voted down their other immigration bill.  That is both bills voted down.  In both cases, numerous Republicans didn't vote for it.  They killed their own bills.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2018, 08:07:21 pm »
The House, today, voted down their other immigration bill.  That is both bills voted down.  In both cases, numerous Republicans didn't vote for it.  They killed their own bills.

No dear!  They killed their lame duck RINO, Chamber of Commerce lacky, speaker's bill and they get a great big HALALUJAH from me for the effort!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien