Author Topic: Vote against the GOP this November - George F. Will  (Read 2606 times)

Offline endicom

Vote against the GOP this November - George F. Will
« on: June 22, 2018, 10:14:00 pm »
Washington Post
George F. Will
June 22, 2018

Amid the carnage of Republican misrule in Washington, there is this glimmer of good news: The family-shredding policy along the southern border, the most telegenic recent example of misrule, clarified something. Occurring less than 140 days before elections that can reshape Congress, the policy has given independents and temperate Republicans — these are probably expanding and contracting cohorts, respectively — fresh if redundant evidence for the principle by which they should vote.

The principle: The congressional Republican caucuses must be substantially reduced. So substantially that their remnants, reduced to minorities, will be stripped of the Constitution’s Article I powers that they have been too invertebrate to use against the current wielder of Article II powers. They will then have leisure time to wonder why they worked so hard to achieve membership in a legislature whose unexercised muscles have atrophied because of people like them.

More... https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/vote-against-the-gop-this-november/2018/06/22/a6378306-7575-11e8-b4b7-308400242c2e_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.085a96a6bb9f

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Vote against the GOP this November - George F. Will
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 10:19:17 pm »
George should stick to writing about things he knows a little bit about.  Baseball for instance.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 10:21:55 pm »
George should stick to writing about things he knows a little bit about.  Baseball for instance.

Did you catch his convoluted reasoning or did your eyes cross about half way down the page?

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 10:34:52 pm »
George must be trying to fill the intellectual void Charles Krauthammers passing left.   He failed.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 10:56:26 pm »
This stupid azzhole spent most of his 1979 and 1980 penning pieces telling people to not vote for Reagan and instead vote for Howard Baker and then George Bush. He can get bent.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 10:58:58 pm »

Did you catch his convoluted reasoning or did your eyes cross about half way down the page?

@endicom

To be perfectly honest with you I must confess to having gotten no further than the title and the byline.   Stopped right there.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 11:05:05 pm »
This stupid azzhole spent most of his 1979 and 1980 penning pieces telling people to not vote for Reagan and instead vote for Howard Baker and then George Bush. He can get bent.

Dad always told me never to trust anyone wearing a bow-tie.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 11:09:36 pm »

I didn't get that far.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 11:11:54 pm »
Dad always told me never to trust anyone wearing a bow-tie.

Offline dfwgator

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 11:23:25 pm »
@mystery-ak

Will's writing is valid.  One should download it into a Word document and read it with a cup of coffee/pastry - stay with the writing.  What he says needs to happen may happen - it is the way I see voting may happen in Nov. based on circumstances now.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 11:26:51 pm »
Will's writing is valid.  One should download it into a Word document and read it with a cup of coffee/pastry - stay with the writing. 

The only way this piece makes any sense is to print it out, download it into the toilet and flush. Then shoot up heroin and take a vodka chaser.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 02:26:18 am »
@Victoria33

From the essay:

The Republican-controlled Congress, which waited for Trump to undo by unilateral decree the border folly they could have prevented by actually legislating, is an advertisement for the unimportance of Republican control . . .

. . . In today’s GOP, which is the president’s plaything, he
is the mainstream. So, to vote against his party’s cowering congressional caucuses is to affirm the nation’s honor while quarantining him. A Democratic-controlled Congress would be a basket of deplorables, but there would be enough Republicans to gum up the Senate’s machinery, keeping the institution as peripheral as it has been under their control and asphyxiating mischief from a Democratic House. And to those who say, “But the judges, the judges!” the answer is: Article III institutions are not more important than those of Articles I and II combined.

(Emphasis added.)

Once upon a time I rubbed my eyes and shuddered over the number of people believing a president was supreme and ignoring that the legislature was a) afforded supremacy even over the executive and b) thus addressed first in the Constitution. Today I shudder over the number of legislators who have believed likewise, behaved likewise, and refused to stand their ground and do their jobs---whether making law or (much better yet!) repealing law---for only too many years regardless of which miscreant happens to occupy the White House.

Will's writing is valid.  One should download it into a Word document and read it with a cup of coffee/pastry - stay with the writing.
All that's required to read it is to bear the ability you yourself have inabundance---an ability to read English. ;)

What he says needs to happen may happen - it is the way I see voting may happen in Nov. based on circumstances now.
It is very possible.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 02:37:24 am »
There is no real need for the likes of Will, bow tie nd tortoise shell specs.

Better listen to Victor Davis Hanson, Newt, X Maryland Gov. Bob Ehrlich, Bill O"Reilly. Pat Buchanan, etc

In other words, folks making honest efforts to understand and explain the reality, f the Trump phenom, for better or worse.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 02:50:55 am »
From the essay:

The Republican-controlled Congress, which waited for Trump to undo by unilateral decree the border folly they could have prevented by actually legislating, is an advertisement for the unimportance of Republican control . . .

That and the previous 8 years of their handing Obama his agenda and funding it while refusing to do as they promised 'root and branch' along with constant assaults upon the Conservative base they demonstrably held in utter contempt - is more than just an advertisement; it is an in-depth video infomercial detailing precisely the reason why the Republican party is not only unimportant, but a cancer on liberty and principles.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2018, 03:01:35 am »
 Behind a paywall... what a sham(e).

Offline Concerned

I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2018, 12:15:24 pm »

Yeah.   Basically indistinguishable from INVAR's.   *****rollingeyes*****
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2018, 12:28:40 pm »
@Victoria33

From the essay:

. . . In today’s GOP, which is the president’s plaything, he
is the mainstream. So, to vote against his party’s cowering congressional caucuses is to affirm the nation’s honor while quarantining him. A Democratic-controlled Congress would be a basket of deplorables, but there would be enough Republicans to gum up the Senate’s machinery, keeping the institution as peripheral as it has been under their control and asphyxiating mischief from a Democratic House. And to those who say, “But the judges, the judges!” the answer is: Article III institutions are not more important than those of Articles I and II combined.

(Emphasis added.)

Once upon a time I rubbed my eyes and shuddered over the number of people believing a president was supreme and ignoring that the legislature was a) afforded supremacy even over the executive and b) thus addressed first in the Constitution. Today I shudder over the number of legislators who have believed likewise, behaved likewise, and refused to stand their ground and do their jobs---whether making law or (much better yet!) repealing law---for only too many years regardless of which miscreant happens to occupy the White House.
All that's required to read it is to bear the ability you yourself have inabundance---an ability to read English. ;)
It is very possible.
@EasyAce

Thanks Easy, you can read and understand, too.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2018, 12:28:52 pm »
Yeah.   Basically indistinguishable from INVAR's.   *****rollingeyes*****

Now now @Jazzhead ...don’t be a gutless coward.  Have the stones to ping @INVAR when you cast aspersions.

Actually never mind...you’ve shown yourself to be nothing but several times.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2018, 12:34:37 pm »
https://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2018/06/george_will_this_november_cast_your_vote_against_t.html

A garbage, nonsense article. He says nothing about the consequences of handing the house to the democrats until the second to last article, and basically brushes them off as "mischief".

Makes me understand the hatred towards the nt's, if they're willing to hand the country to the democrats to stop trump.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2018, 01:24:54 pm »
Now now @Jazzhead ...don’t be a gutless coward.  Have the stones to ping @INVAR when you cast aspersions.

Actually never mind...you’ve shown yourself to be nothing but several times.

I'd rather he not.

Reading his Communist claptrap passed off as 'Conservatism' just gets my blood pressure up.

Makes me understand the hatred towards the nt's, if they're willing to hand the country to the democrats to stop trump.

Technically, logically and fundamentally - judging the fruits of the Republican party, it makes no difference which one of the Statist parties run the show.

The Republicans passed more of Obama's agenda than the Democrats did, and FUNDED it with aplomb to boot.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 01:27:31 pm by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline endicom

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2018, 02:55:08 pm »

We could have Hillary and a Dem congress if people like Will had their way.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2018, 04:48:13 pm »
Laura Ingraham: George Will is ‘sad and petty’ for urging votes against GOP
http://thehill.com/homenews/media/393783-laura-ingraham-george-will-is-sad-and-petty-for-urging-votes-against-gop
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline endicom

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2018, 04:58:21 pm »
Laura Ingraham: George Will is ‘sad and petty’ for urging votes against GOP
http://thehill.com/homenews/media/393783-laura-ingraham-george-will-is-sad-and-petty-for-urging-votes-against-gop

I'll side with Ingraham.

What the hell does George Will want? The status quo ante where nothing good ever happens? Because that's his comfort zone?