Author Topic: U.S. Commerce Dept Probing Steel 'Profiteering' After Tariffs  (Read 723 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
(Reuters) - The U.S. Commerce Department is investigating recent steel price hikes to determine whether some market participants are "illegitimately profiteering" from new tariffs, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said on Wednesday.

Ross told a Senate Finance Committee hearing that the price of steel in the U.S. market has risen far more than justified by the 25 percent tariff imposed by the Trump administration, possibly because of "speculative activity," with some market intermediaries holding back inventories.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1JG22W
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Re: U.S. Commerce Dept Probing Steel 'Profiteering' After Tariffs
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 02:35:32 am »
"There's no reason for tariffs to increase the price of steel by far more than the percentage of the tariff, and yet that's what has been happening," Ross said. "That clearly is not a result of the tariff, that's clearly a result of antisocial behavior by participants in the industry."

Ross did not name any parties responsible for the price hikes. But he said the restart of some idled domestic mills would help alleviate any supply constraints by late this year, citing U.S. Steel Corp's restart of its Granite City, Illinois, blast furnace operations, which should add 2.5 million tons of raw steel output annually.

So, he says there's no reason for the increase above 25%, then addresses remedies to supply constraints.  OK.

Online corbe

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 03:02:07 am »
   Lumber, v2.0
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 03:05:42 am »
So, he says there's no reason for the increase above 25%, then addresses remedies to supply constraints.  OK.
I'm uncertain if this propaganda is offered because Ross has contempt for the intelligence of Americans or he is genuinely this dumb.  Probably both.

Offline edpc

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 03:23:04 am »
I'm uncertain if this propaganda is offered because Ross has contempt for the intelligence of Americans or he is genuinely this dumb.  Probably both.

Well, he may end up having his own legal/ethical issues over divestment.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,321126.0.html

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 03:26:12 am »

Well, he may end up having his own legal/ethical issues over divestment.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,321126.0.html

The BEST people.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 03:55:42 am »

Meh....  :shrug: let the Market take care of it.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline edpc

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 04:28:03 am »

That's kind of the point.  At first, the implementation of tariffs will put an additional cost of the percentage and also disrupt supply, at least in the short term.  Domestic production may increase, which would bring the prices down.  Once tariffs are in place long enough, unions will renegotiate their contracts and prices will increase again.  We know this, because it's what happened during the Bush 43 steel tariffs.  You'd think as Commerce Secretary and a businessman, Ross would be aware of that.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 11:58:28 am »

Agreed! 

I'm so glad you're against artificial interference like tarrifs, @Fantom
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 02:24:58 pm »
Heard something about this practice last week.  The industries being protected by these tariffs/taxes tend to raise their prices to the consumers on their products to a couple percentage points below the tariff on the imported goods...so they in essence screw the customer again after the custome gets hit by the tariff costs.

Aren't trade wars fun and good for the American public? /s
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!