Author Topic: Remittances: Illegal Immigration’s $30 Billion ‘Hidden Tax’  (Read 475 times)

Offline endicom

American Greatness
Spencer P. Morrison
June 20, 2018

Paris. The year is 1788. The air is heavy with the scent of impending revolution. Some praise the king in hushed whispers, others shout “Liberté! Egalité! Fraternité!” in the streets. Either way, the time for talk is over. How did it get to this point?

The hopeful specter of radical liberalism played its part, as the father of modern conservatism Edmund Burke observes in his masterpiece Reflections on the Revolution in France. But most men aren’t dreamers. Most live parochial lives and think parochial thoughts—there’s no time to dream when you’re working to put bread on the table.

[...]

Therein lies one of illegal immigration’s biggest, yet routinely ignored, problems: illegal aliens hop the border, work (often without paying taxes), and send a large chunk of their earnings back home via remittances. Basically, remittances are a hidden tax Americans pay for the privilege of hiring artificially cheap illegal labor—and it adds up. In fact, illegal immigrants may remit around $30 billion annually.

More... https://amgreatness.com/2018/06/20/remittances-illegal-immigrations-30-billion-hidden-tax/

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I believe Trump already had proposed placing a tax on any remittances such as referenced here.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline endicom

I believe Trump already had proposed placing a tax on any remittances such as referenced here.

That would more money to Uncle Sam and not to the people of Mayberry.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
A significant % of Mexico's gdp
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

That would more money to Uncle Sam and not to the people of Mayberry.

It would help keep money in Mayberry by discouraging them from sending it out.

Oceander

Somebody doesn’t understand basic economics. 

Offline endicom

The money must return as purchase or investment, blah blah blah.

Offline driftdiver

22222frying pan

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

So what lack of understanding are you spouting this time?

Please share with us.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington