Author Topic: Canadians Who’ve Used Pot Can Be Forever Barred From Entering the United States  (Read 821 times)

Offline Suppressed

Canadians Who’ve Used Pot Can Be Forever Barred From Entering the United States
And that’s a problem, because Canada is about to make marijuana legal.
BRANDON E. PATTERSON    JUN. 20, 2018 6:00 AM
https://www.motherjones.com/crime-justice/2018/06/canadians-who-admit-marijuana-use-barred-from-united-states-canada-legalize-pot/

Randy Risling/The Toronto Star/ZUMA

On Tuesday, the Canadian Senate voted to legalize the recreational use and sale of marijuana by adults. The House of Commons already passed the bill on Monday, which means Canada is poised to be the first industrialized nation with federally sanctioned pot shops. And while the potheads up north may see this as a reason to rejoice, it’s also a reason for them to be wary when traveling to the United States.

Under federal immigration law, foreigners can be refused entry or even permanently barred from the States for attempting to enter with a controlled substance, for violating the drug laws of the US or any other country, and even for admitting to past drug use.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline dfwgator

Too bad this wasn't in place before Justin Bieber.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Canada makes it hard to become a citizen there, in general.

Offline dfwgator

Canada makes it hard to become a citizen there, in general.

More's the pity.  Wish all the Hollywood pinheads would move there.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
More's the pity.  Wish all the Hollywood pinheads would move there.
That would be a start....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Under federal immigration law, foreigners can be refused entry or even permanently barred from the States for attempting to enter with a controlled substance, for violating the drug laws of the US or any other country, and even for admitting to past drug use.

How did Marley ever do US concert tours?  Hell, at this point, isn't Keith Richards just a sentient brick of H?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Oceander

How did Marley ever do US concert tours?  Hell, at this point, isn't Keith Richards just a sentient brick of H?

I think the catch is “can be” - which is different from “must” and implies that each border control agent has discretion about whether to admit a given person or not.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I think the catch is “can be” - which is different from “must” and implies that each border control agent has discretion about whether to admit a given person or not.

I guess turnabout is fair play.  Back in 1996, I got saddled with a trip to Montreal in the middle of winter.  My co-worker was supposed to do it, but they denied his entry on the grounds he had a DUI in 1978.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline mountaineer

foreigners can be refused entry or even permanently barred from the States for attempting to enter with a controlled substance, for violating the drug laws of the US or any other country, and even for admitting to past drug use.
I have no problem with excluding groups 1 and 2. Group 3? Who is going to admit to past drug use?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline dfwgator

I have no problem with excluding groups 1 and 2. Group 3? Who is going to admit to past drug use?

Isn't Tommy Chong from Canada?

Online rustynail

And there should be attempted entrant paid drug tests at the border.

Offline Suppressed

Someone traveling with a cell phone, since they can grab it and search for evidence. 
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn