Author Topic: Germany's Largest Auto Makers Back Abolition of EU-U.S. Car Import Tariffs  (Read 929 times)

Offline endicom

4-traders
By William Boston and Bojan Pancevski
June 20, 2018

BERLIN--When the U.S. ambassador to Germany, Richard Grenell, returns to Washington for consultation with the administration Wednesday, he will be carrying a peace offering for President Donald Trump from Germany's leading auto makers.

Their proposal, people familiar with the situation say, is simple: Abandon all import tariffs for cars between the European Union and the U.S.

That would mean scrapping the EU's 10% tax on auto imports from the U.S. and other countries and the 2.5% duty on auto imports in the U.S. As a prerequisite, the Europeans want Mr. Trump's threat of imposing a 25% border tax on European auto imports off the table.

Over the past few weeks, Mr. Grenell has held closed-door meetings with the chiefs of all major German automotive companies, including bilateral meetings with the CEOs of Daimler AG, BMW AG and Volkswagen AG, which operate plants in the U.S. Overall, Germany's auto makers and suppliers provide 116,500 jobs in the U.S., according to the Association of German Automotive Manufacturers.

More... http://www.4-traders.com/news/Germany-s-Largest-Auto-Makers-Back-Abolition-of-EU-U-S-Car-Import-Tariffs--26795648/

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Well imagine that.  Seems negotiating with a backbone can be beneficial
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline endicom

Well imagine that.  Seems negotiating with a backbone can be beneficial

If nothing else, it can force a reconsidering of outdated policies.

When Trump speaks of dropping all tariffs he's voicing an ideal. But his deal is possible deals, not impossible ideals, so what we should expect is just something better than what we have.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I think rather than agreeing to doing away with them, why not just change the equation the other way around so we get a 10% import duty on EU autos while the EU gets a 2.5% duty on imports from US.

We need to make up some tariff money before we go along with their scheme where they get rich off us until someone calls the gig is up.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Frank Cannon

More tangible proof........Trump is GOD!!!!!!